Selling Shares With No Value Held In Paper Form

Just coming back to this issue again. So to recap, I have 10 shares worth about €4 worth of shares that have lost 99 per cent of their value, only held in paper form. So best course of action seems to be to buy 10 shares , hold for a month, sell after a month, and under FIFO, I can register that loss with Revenue. Question; Can you actually buy (from anyone) or sell (anyone) such tiny amounts of shares? Are online low cost brokers interested in this kind of thing?

I might have this slightly wrong. This is how I remember it. My mother was trying to do the exact same with old banking shares. Maybe ptsb. I think she phyically signed the paper shares over to a new owner (her grandson). He is now the proud owner of 4 shares worth less than €10. She did this to avoid the selling fee, as the selling fee would've cost more than the shares current worth - and she wanted to realise the loss to offset against something else. Not sure if this is possible in your case.

The OP is not availing of the suggested option quoted above but for future reference, loss relief on the PTSB shares was not available in this scenario unless the grandmother was disposing of another asset to the grandchild on which there was a gain.

A loss realised on disposal to a relative (connected party) is a restricted loss so care should be taken in these situations as the loss relief could become permanently trapped and forfeit.

See 9.10 here:

Back