Selling irish shares but not a resident advice

coleen

Hi a family member has a small amount of fbd shares that she wants to sell. She lives in the USA and has no irish bank account.
She has asked stock broker firms in the US and they have told her they can't sell them for her. She has asked here in ireland and she has been told she needs an irish bank account to be able to sell them.
Can she transfer them to me and then I can sell them for her. What would be the tax implications for me.
Has anyone any idea how to go about this she has 300 shares @€13 approx
Thanks again

[FONT=&quot]Welcome to THE SYSTEM my dear. George Orwell would be proud of the way we have allowed the ruling and rentier classes to control us and to track our every move. ‘Nineteen Eighty Four’ eat your heart out! The ruling elite, rentier classes, failed ex-ruling elite, certain business elites, retired regulators with ‘memory loss’, banksters all feast up in the big house like the pigs of Animal Farm, quaffing the Krug and sticking their snouts in, you’ve guessed it, heavily laden plates of roast suckling pig. Meanwhile the forlorn working man and woman stand in the wet and cold farmyard, peering miserably through the net curtained windows of the great house at this great feast......[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you think I’m joking, I have been informed that the Central Bank, one of our esteemed ruling elite establishments, has abolished days of grace on any insurance policy whilst waiting on the 'cheque in the post' to your insurance company, so when your insurance is now up at 1810 hours on 07-Aug-14, it is up at 1810 hours, unless the renewal payment has been received by them before this. This I was told by an insurance company, correct me if I am wrong, they claim it is to do with duplication of insurance.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now, post rant, my humble advice.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I assume that the shares are in this honorable lady’s name, either in paper share certificate or else held electronically, but I would guess in paper form. You could try the highway barons in AIB, you might have asked them already. I think they might still sell shares for people over the bank counter through Goodbody/Fexco for a heftyish bit of coin. Walk into your local branch if you know them and ask or else ring them. They may require a bank account to be held in AIB in the name of the person on the share certificate, but if they ask that, I would be asking them where that is in writing.... As for the person on the share certificate not being there in person, a signed letter of permission from the USA lady, nominating you as the sale executor may do as well as a phone call from her to the bank, but knowing THE SYSTEM.......[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you manage to execute a sale, and a cheque is issued in USA lady’s name, then get said lady to endorse the cheque by signing the back of it (a pain perhaps if she is in USA) and you should then be able to lodge it into your own bank account, whereupon you can then transfer the said settled amount to her US account or otherwise in euros/dollars etc (again watch the robber bank barons on currency exchange, there are cheaper ways to do it).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If AIB no go, then could try Computershare (01 447 5435) though they seemed to have got a bit of bad press on another forum here!) as they are the registrars for FBD shares - go to the main FBD group web-site, and click on the investor relation tab. Ring them up yourself or else get USA lady to do it and ask what is involved in a direct share sale, without explaining the domicile problem above, and see do they require any other proof of address/id beside the share certificate. If all they require is the share cert, then execute the sale, again for a heftyish bit of coin, and get USA lady to endorse the cheque as above and lodge in your account and transfer funds after.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If other id/proof of address is required, then you are in a right heap.... Ring up FBD main office in Dublin and explain the situation to see if anything can be done – ask to speak to the investor relations team or company secretary in FBD, not the insurance salesmen!. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Or else go back to Computershare, to see if the holding can be transferred into your name in a straightforward manner, but I suspect that this might involve a solicitor or commissioner for oaths (i.e. the rentier classes) or the like, it’s THE SYSTEM, you see. It could also open you up for a tax liability perhaps like a gift tax but probably too low an amount depending on your relationship to benefactor and you could defend it, I would guess, by transferring the said amount back to the benefactor when sale finally executed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If all that fails, you are still in a heap , and you need to get another shovel to dig yourself out of it, by kinda playing THE SYSTEM, albeit at a lot of inconvenience and perhaps the monetary cost of travel. USA lady needs to open up an Irish bank account (with all the red tape associated with that) or needs to set up an execution only stock-broking account with a broker, most likely in Ireland, if you are saying that stock-brokers in the US will not do the sale. Someone like Campbell O’Connor Stockbrokers would be grand, based in Dublin, they are probably the most competitive for that transaction value. However THE SYSTEM will require validated identity and proof of address, so you know where this is going..... In other words, a stamped photocopy of passport or driving licence, by the police, solicitor etc, and two recent letters showing proof of address.... . She could get the addresses proof handy enough by asking for a balancing statement, tax credits etc from Revenue, and the other one by throwing her name on your utility bill perhaps. Validated id may have to wait until she is over again, if she is able to get over, if not then this shovel is no good.....[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you are able to do it this way, then Campbell may perhaps be able to convert the euro value of shares to US dollars at a competitive rate and wire across to US or issue US cheque – worth checking, I know they can convert € to £ and issue £ cheque. Otherwise USA lady can endorse the € cheque and lodge into your account as above.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I suspect USA lady may be ok for tax liability if she is non-resident in Ireland for tax purposes, may be worth her checking out any US tax liability if money going into a US account...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If still tax resident in Ireland, then any capital gains above €1270 is taxed at a whopping 33% by the ruling elites – subtract cost of buying the shares initially (can be inflation adjusted up to about 2002 I think) as well as cost of purchase transaction and cost of sale transaction.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I hope you can overcome THE SYSTEM. It could take time though. I could tell you a way to lock in the current share price if USA lady wanted to lock in profits, but it would be a little complicated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Your ordeal may be more straightforward than what I have described and perhaps I am way too cynical or you may have caught me on a bad day..[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sorry for the long-winded post. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on, and I hope not to be reading about you or USA lady having a ‘Falling Down’ moment in an office of the rentier classes soon![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The rest of you, be warned....... THE SYSTEM.....[/FONT]

Back