Seeking Advice on Tenant Break Options Under the Residential Tenancies Act in Ireland

business_hero

Hi everyone,
my friend is 12 months into a flat tenancy in Ireland and the lease is expiring by the end this month.

The landlord wants to extend it for another year. Does the Residential Tenancies Act provide any statutory tenant break options for early contract termination in such cases?

I'm looking for advice on whether it would be possible to break the lease (after for example 3 months) without specific clauses in the current lease agreement as the landlord does want to offer any break options.

Thanks

Simple answer, give notice and leave. As long as you've paid your rent and leave the place in good condition there will be no issue.

What would happen if the existing 12 months lease expires at the end of Jan and the tenant refuses to sign a new 12 months lease agreement but stays in the flat and continues paying rent? Can the landlord evict?

I came across the below, however, I am not sure whether it also applies to fixed term tenancies.

Security of tenure

Security of tenure is a tenant’s right to stay in rented accommodation for a set amount of time. Generally, security of tenure applies automatically when you have been renting for 6 months and haven’t received a valid notice of termination from your landlord in that time. When you have security of tenure, your landlord can only terminate your tenancy for a limited number of reasons, see our page ‘If your landlord wants you to leave’.

The amount of time you are entitled to stay in rented accommodation after the first 6 months depends on when your tenancy began.

If your tenancy was created after 10 June 2022, you have a tenancy of unlimited duration. This means if you have rented somewhere for 6 months, you have the right to stay in that accommodation indefinitely (no end date), unless the landlord wants to terminate your tenancy for one of the allowed reasons.

Last edited:
fixed term tenancies
We essentially don't have these any more. Once you are renting for >6 months, the relevant legislation applies.

Honestly, you'd have to work hard to have a void in a rental property these days.

Give the property owner good notice, be helpful with viewings and keep the place tidy when new tenants come to view and leave all in good order.

There won't be a problem.

Back