second hand prices down 15%

capall

Can anyone explain why this is. My understanding is that second hand cars aren't affected by the change in vrt and motor tax.
Is this really true about the price falls anyone have recent experience buying or selling SH

I don't know about the car market, but the motorbike market is very quiet and prices are falling significantly.

Source for the 15% claim please?

The motor market is stagnant. Lots of cars imported, and many people waiting to change to the new lower vrt/road tax fleet.

Credit is tighter too, and the economy is in trouble. Optimism is down, and motorists are thinking twice about long trem committments.

Some good stuff on www.boards.ie concerning this stuff. Subaru's for €12k off the old price etc. €10k+ overpriced new Audi A4 1.9TDI's still attempting to be sold by dealers.

Some silly stuff going on.

No idea why the motorbike market is goosed. Maybe economics again?

Drops on teh new price should all filter down the market.

320d down by about 7k definitely going to effect the price of 07 320d.

I've been trying to sell my 1.6 05 Mitsubishi Lancer on Carzone for the last 6 months with no takers I don't think theres much moving at all and I have the price down to 11k :eek:

I have had my 2006 Avensis on Carzone for two months... immaculate, low mileage, unmarked, underpriced... NOT ONE INQUIRY! I've garaged it reluctantly waiting for the market to restart. The word is that people are confused over the changes in July!

I have had my 2006 Avensis on Carzone for two months... immaculate, low mileage, unmarked, underpriced... NOT ONE INQUIRY! I've garaged it reluctantly waiting for the market to restart. The word is that people are confused over the changes in July!

Just curious as to when the market will be restarting ? Is it 1st July, 1st August, 1st Sept - My advice drop the price and get rid!

No idea why the motorbike market is goosed. Maybe economics again?

Same reasons as the car market, plus a fair proportion of bike owners are hobbyists and also have a car - if they are feeling the pinch the bike goes so they don't have to pay tax, insurance etc.
Also the exchange rate with sterling means that a lot of bikes are being imported. I would have gone to the UK if I'd had the time to go over when I was changing mine.

Just curious as to when the market will be restarting ? Is it 1st July, 1st August, 1st Sept - My advice drop the price and get rid!

Thanks for the advice badge, but, I'm not going to sell it for nothing! If not sold by the end of the summer, I'm giving back the Company car (08 Mondeo) and reverting to the Avensis (lighter car though better engine)... savings on BIK will compensate.

Good plan Carpedeum

Though you will miss the new Mondeo methinks - my missus has one and I likes it - I tried to talk her out of buying it because I had driven an old one - but she made me test drive it and won that battle easily then!

Maybe you can charge the company mileage and subsistence in line with approved civil service rates

I'm trying to sell an 03 Golf 1.4 with only 58K miles, taken it from 9K down to a very reasonable 6.5K and still nothing doing on it. I know many people trying to sell and they have the same story. let's hope things start happening in July again.

I'm in the market for a used Honda Jazz and I'm wondering if the changes next week will have any more impact on second hand prices - what do people think?

Definately one of the reasons car market is quiet is because people
are wiseing up to the dealers and bringing in cars from uk and the north.

I'll be getting my new plates on tuesday for '07 passat, reckon i saved
between 5 & 6k for a day trip up to belfast.
Will have it cleared for less than 22k cheapest one from a dealer i could
find in the south was 27K with higher miles.

Well worth it

Well worth it

Absolutely.

Unsuspecting folk importing still need to be aware of a few dangers however.

Clocking, accident repair, and finance arrears are widespread. HPI suggest as many as 1 in 3 used cars have a dark secret.

I'd always suggest a HPI check, a full and independently verifiable service history, and a full mechanical examination and warranty as being prerequisites before purchase.

There are quite a few horror stories on cut and shuts, and cars with "haircuts".

p.s. I've no connection to the motor trade.

Well worth it

me too, getting my 07 passat next week from up north. Got a bit curious yesterday though and visited a few local dealers to see what I could scrape out of them and give them one last chance. I got them to drop the price of a 06 Passat Highline with 30k miles from 26k down to 22.5k, and def could have got them down to 22k I reckon. Did'nt go for it in the end, nice spec, but a year older than the oone I'm getting up north and over 100 euro more expensive.

One thing I was thinkong about though was the resale value of a 07 car in a few years. Imagine looking for a second hand car, and a 07 would cost you 540 euro road tax, but a 08 model will cost you onle 240 euro!!! The 07 price will drop cos of that I reckon.
Wexfordman

Passat imprters

can you let us all know how you get on next week with pickup vrt etc.

On payment did you use xe.com or similar or just get a sterling draft from the bank?

If xe or the like I assume you just arrange the transfer to the dealers Bank acount.

Best of luck with the new motors.

On the tax I assume it will make a little diff on resale but it is only a few hundred a year so not a complete killer.

On the tax I assume it will make a little diff on resale but it is only a few hundred a year so not a complete killer
I don't know but I'd guess it'll make a difference which will be disproportionate to the saving.

1.4 cars have always sold and held their value much better than 1.6 cars despite a relatively small tax difference of around 100 euro.

There's something irrational about the way people (including myself) see yearly bills as opposed to a once off expense.

Passat imprters

can you let us all know how you get on next week with pickup vrt etc.

On payment did you use xe.com or similar or just get a sterling draft from the bank?

If xe or the like I assume you just arrange the transfer to the dealers Bank acount.

Best of luck with the new motors.

On the tax I assume it will make a little diff on resale but it is only a few hundred a year so not a complete killer.

I paid balance with sterling draft frank no probs,expect the vrt to
come in around 5k will varify next week.Got a smashin car though
still has the new car smell..........happy days..............

Back