Sarsfield Park Lucan

D'ont really agree about being a snob not wanting to live in an area saturated with rentals.

the irony is huge here. As council estates were originally set up for people who didnt/couldnt own their own homes. but yet you are holding them up as somehow different to "rentals":)

the irony is huge here. As council estates were originally set up for people who didnt/couldnt own their own homes. but yet you are holding them up as somehow different to "rentals":)

I come from a council estate. I lived there for 25 years. My mam still lives there. Out of 70 houses where I grew up, over 60 are still the original residents who moved in 35 years ago and purchased under the tenant purchase scheme. There was a street party this June(2008) to celebrate 35 years and everyone getting their deeds, along with a mass for deceased residents. You dont get that kind of community nowadays. Sarsfield Park still has that kind of community.

"Rentals" , where I lived in Lucan were vastly different because (a) the population becomes transient and the sense of community vastly became non existant (b) the majority (of the ones who lived where I bought in Lucan) had no pride in the area, which quickly started to look very run down and was vastly unfair on those who did want to live with a community based focus.

When you are picking a "home" to set up base in (and pay for the rest of your working life), you have to be realistic and pick somewhere you want to live. I would take a (current) or ex council estate with a sense of pride and community over a private estate saturated by rentals any day of the week.

Theres nothing ironic about that.

You dont get that kind of community nowadays.

quote]

massive generalisation. the only area with community spirit are ex-council houses?

Never said that. However, it would be my opinion that some of the older ex-council estates have a very strong sense of community spirit which is lacking in some of the newer areas.

Simply giving an opinion on Sarsfield Park, which is what the thread is specifically about.

Some people think it is better always to buy a private house rather than an ex-council house and are wary of buying into same.

My personal experience of Lucan would be that Sarsfield Park is a way better area than many of the newer private estates within the outskirts. I lived in Lucan for seven years and did not like it. If I had bought in Sarsfield Park, I do not think I would have had to move.

I will stress it is my opinion only, and has hopefully helped Elaine in making the right decision. I would hate for somebody to pass on the likes of Sarsfield Park to live where I lived (private estate) in Lucan because they are worried about living in an ex-council house.

Back