same stock, different exchange

lledlledlled

i was considering buying shares in a company quoted on the NYSE but noticed the same company were also quoted on the Toronto SE. As i already have shares in US dollars, would it make sense to buy the Canadian shares in order to limit currency risk? Are there any other considerations i may be overlooking?

You might find that the listing on the Canadian Exchange is quoted in US Dollars too. Something to check out

i was considering buying shares in a company quoted on the NYSE but noticed the same company were also quoted on the Toronto SE. As i already have shares in US dollars, would it make sense to buy the Canadian shares in order to limit currency risk? Are there any other considerations i may be overlooking?

You wouldn't avoid any currency risk. The price of the share on the two exchanges will equal (or virtually equal) each other when you covert to USD or CAD. Otherwise we could all make millions in arbitrage. Buy in whichever market you broker charges the lowest fees. There might be some tax issues, but I've never invested abroad so I don't know.

Back