Ryanair changed my flight times and they don't suit me

Ryanair can't just make up imaginary times and then change them at will.
It seems that they can, if the flights are for next summer for example they can just make up a time and change it within a 10 hour window later, they can cancel it at will also and give a refund. They can advertise a flight at 6, move it to 11 and sell another one at 4 PM later, all at will.

It seems that they can, if the flights are for next summer for example they can just make up a time and change it within a 10 hour window later, they can cancel it at will also and give a refund. They can advertise a flight at 6, move it to 11 and sell another one at 4 PM later, all at will.
You do realise how complex flight scheduling is. This would create havoc for Ryanair.

You do realise how complex flight scheduling is. This would create havoc for Ryanair.
But Ryanair are creating this havoc.

The OP had a flight mid morning. It is no longer available, so it has been cancelled. Ryanair say they will refund or reschedule when flights are cancelled. You have to get an email to say your flight has been cancelled before you can apply for a refund........but they refuse to send the email for a flight that has been clearly cancelled.

They have created another flight in the mid afternoon or bumped the OP on to an existing mid afternoon flight. (that costs considerably less than what he paid for the morning flight). He is not getting what he paid for.

Where is the morning flight gone? It has obviously been cancelled.

The pathetic excuse that they use is that the mid morning flight has been rescheduled and it might be rescheduled again is their excuse for not sending out an email so that the OP can claim a refund of his money. They are deliberately holding on to his money.

The newly created mid afternoon flight might be rescheduled they say....but what if that reschedule time is 5 minutes?

The new flight that the OP has been transferred to has a departing time of over 4 hours later. They never even informed him that he had been transferred to a new flight time with a 4 hour difference. He only found out by chance.

They should be offering him an immediate refund if he wants it so he can make plans now.

I agree that he should get a refund now if the schedule has changed. What is so far not clear on this thread is if Ryanair can avoid doing this until some time in the future. As Ryanair will give the OP the runaround, he should make a complaint to the link I put up earlier. And we'd all benefit from knowing the actual rules.

But it does seem, so far, that schedules do change. It happened to us in relation to a long haul flight to the US for one of us, booked way in advance, and also happened to one of going to the Far East (both this year). I didn't think of it until now, but we just accepted the changes as the flights were necessary, it was too late to change without massive price hikes and the dates were important. What I do not believe is that the carriers (KLM and Quatar) were doing it to mess around customers or to make money on fictional flight times.

(Ryanair are giving me the runaround on S261 compensation claim currently - I have a thread on it.)

You do realise how complex flight scheduling is.
From this thread and googling it seems that the times are completely fictional until 3 months out. If Ryanair ran a route last summer or it is active at the moment, they probably can expect similar timings at that airport next summer, but aside from that they are notional times.

But they advertise and sell the time slots at different prices. They then move the times around such that people who paid more for a flight at a given time are moved to a 'worse' time while other flights are actively being sold closer to their original time. They are blocking a refund on the later one to buy the one closer to the original time in OP's case.

There should be a clause that you have an option to move to the nearest flight to the time that you paid for any time up until the whole schedule on the day is finalised (if they say that is 3 months then it could be 3 months). Another option that seems fair is to sell tickets more than 3 months in advance with no time advertised, advertise them as a flight leaving at e.g. 'any time on the 5th', then they can legitimately put people on whatever plane Ryanair decides they want them to fly on, assuming anyone is willing to buy those tickets.

Update.

I have now asked them 3 times for a refund of my cancelled flight and they are refusing to refund me or send me an email to say that my flight no longer exists. Quoting all sorts of Rules and Regulations that are not shown on their own website for me to read. This is their latest email to me..

Thank you for your query.

"Whilst we sympathize with your view, we regret that our position as set out in the letter dated 02/11/2023 remains unaltered.

We wish to re-inform you that Ryanair, in common with other airlines, reserves the right to alter flight schedules. This information is contained in our agreed Terms and Conditions, on all itineraries and in the frequently asked questions section of our website. We try to minimise flight changes, but occasionally due to airport and air traffic restrictions we may be forced to do so.

If we change flight timings or numbers before scheduled departure, we will notify you about these changes by e-mail and text message at least 90 days prior to departure time. If you have not received the notification, it means that the schedule is yet to be finalized and the flight departure time may change back to the original.

We are sorry that we cannot be of further assistance with regards to this matter."

In this email they have started talking about airport and traffic restrictions. I can understand that there may be unforeseen events on the day or days leading to the flight I booked. What traffic restrictions are they talking about 6 months away from my flight time?

They will not show me where their 5 hour rule is shown in their terms and conditions. I am talking about their publicly available website terms and conditions. Why? I also get someone different to respond to me every time, with their own version of Ryanair's Rules and Regulations.

I booked my flight in August last for next April. This flight no longer exists. No email about this....nothing.

I am getting plenty of emails asking me to sign their petition for clearer skies though...

Is there an email address for Conor Pope.
[email protected]

This is to do with a complete cancellation. They were given the option of travelling the day before, the day after or a full refund.

We contacted Ryanair and a spokeswoman said that the schedule changes “are directly related to Boeing delivery delays announced on Thursday, Sept 28th.

As a result of the delays, Ryanair now has three fewer Dublin-based aircraft than it thought it would have. “We have had to roll out a number of flight cancellations/changes in Dublin between October and December and your reader’s original flight from Seville to Dublin was just one of these regrettable schedule changes,” she said.

She stressed that the changes have “been forced upon us by Boeing delivering just 14 out of 27 contracted aircraft this side of Christmas. Your reader was given over 2½ months’ notice of this schedule change and was offered changed flights or a full refund in line with our terms and conditions. We apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused to him and his family due to this unavoidable schedule change in mid-December.”

Lots of things can happen

And Aer Riant has a cap on the number of flights from Dublin which it is worried about breaching.

Brenda
I think in the Op's case it has nothing to do with Ryanair being worried about breaching the cap on the number of flights.

In his case, Ryanair have either bumped him on to a later flight or created a later flight in place of the earlier flight.

They still have two flights a day going to his destination.

The official confirmation will be sent in no less then 90 days prior to the flight or immediately once the change will be final. You will have upon receiving such e-mail options to either change the time of the flight to another available flight or to request a refund if the change will be above 5 hours.
This is what the Op got in a private email from Ryanair.

However, they don't have this 90 day information in their Terms and Conditions on their website. Why?

This is what they have.

9.1.2 If we change flight timings or numbers before scheduled departure, we will notify you about these changes by e-mail​

So, by not mentioning the 90 days anywhere, it basically means that this could change anytime.

When it suits them it could be 60 days or 30 days or whatever.

Where exactly?

Help yourself:-

....... it is quite likely that they will be tweaking their schedules quite a lot in the next few months, before finalising them. That's the risk that one takes in booking flights months in advice. My advice is to sit tight; furthermore I strongly doubt that Ryanair will refund you before the flight times have been finalised.

I am hearing that this is happening all the time. It has happened to my brother 3 times in his last 3 bookings. Flights to Malaga. Also no notification by email.

How can Ryanair justify selling seats knowing that there could be several changes to the schedule before they settle down.
The problem is that the OP's outward flight has changed by over 4 hours.

Ryanair state that there may be more changes before the day of the flight.

In my experience, these further changes are usually of the, less than 30 minute timeframe. It sounds as if this this further change may not suit the OP either.

Big difference between a 4 hour change and a 30 minute change. I think that the OP should be allowed to claim back the cost of his flight now and not later.

I have taken 8 flights already this year with Ryanair. Every single one of those flights has been delayed by up to one hour. Both the outward and return portions of the flights.
I have noticed that also.

In my case the flight was delayed by up to one hour......but......when we went through the boarding gate, we had to wait at the end of a stairs for a further 15 minutes. We then had to wait at the bottom of the steps of the plane for a further 10 minutes. After everyone had boarded the plan the pilot announced that there would be a further delay because they had lost their slot. This was a further 20 minutes. So between going through the boarding gate and the plane taking off we lost a further 45 minutes on top of the hours delay.

When does the clock start ticking for compensation to be paid......is it when the plane leaves the runway or when you go through the boarding gate?

I can understand the OP being concerned about the new 4 hour schedule change to his flight. If the above scenario happens and there is a further delay plus a further take off delay, this can add considerably to his original expected arrival time.

I think that the OP should be allowed take his refund if he wants....because trying to argue with Ryanair that there was a schedule change plus a delayed flight plus a further delay in the plane taking off..........

Compensation doesn't kick in until you are delayed 3hrs after your arrival time. The arrival time would be the "final" arrival time on the final flight change.

Is there an email address for Conor Pope.

I can only see Instagram, Irish Times, Twitter....

Conor Pope has now covered the issue.

I can't find it online, but it was in last weekend's paper.

Flight booked Dublin to Perpignan with Aer Lingus
Got an email to say flight pushed back 1 hour and 50 minutes
So flight will now arrive in Perpignan at 6.05 pm
Car hire office closes at 6 pm.
Accommodation closes at 9 pm.

Decided to fly to Barcelona instead but Aer Lingus charged difference in fares and flight change fee.
The fees could only be waived if there was a "major schedule change" i.e. two hours or more
And the woman ended the call by saying "Thank you for flying Aer Lingus"

She won't be flying Aer Lingus again.

Conor Pope called Aer Lingus and was told as the schedule change was less than 2 hours, normal rules apply.
However, as a gesture of goodwill, they refunded the charges.

Are flight times so reliable that one can book a hire car where the office closes within 2 hours of your arrival and if you miss that, you also miss your accommodation.

Forget about flight schedule changes, flights are often delayed more than 2 hours.

If Aer Lingus had not changed the flight, but it was delayed 2 hours anyway, she would have been snookered.

Brendan

Back