RTE randomness

Are they any different from any other media outlet?. BBC, C4 etc are all quite capable of shouting how important they are and their people are. some of our radio stations here you'd swear were the only ones on the planet. Today FM is a love in until they sack the presenters and then they are forgotten about.

I didn't see all of Monday nights programme but what I did see was interesting and in fairness to Charlie B, he's doing a lot of good in the short time he has left.
RTE is not BBC or C4; they have an international platform and viewership hence their presenters being known outside of Ireland.

RTE is more aligned to hospital radio or a Dublin-centric local station, at best.

Charlie Bird has always been a popular, likeable (remember the seal on the beach) type of character and wouldn't this programme at least be better than watching (especially in summer time), a repeat of a repeat of a repeat. I could understand if it was something dreadful like Love Island or anything to do with the Kardashians that we were talking about.

Another thing that is annoying is the way they make the newsreaders stand there while reading the news. whats all that about ??
I know Sky news seemed to have started all that malarkey but I think they have now largely abandoned it.
Sharon ni Bheolain wears the same type of trousers suit thing which looks a bit silly and awkward, just let them sit at a desk again

Another thing that is annoying is the way they make the newsreaders stand there while reading the news. whats all that about ??
I know Sky news seemed to have started all that malarkey but I think they have now largely abandoned it.
Sharon ni Bheolain wears the same type of trousers suit thing which looks a bit silly and awkward, just let them sit at a desk again
A bit? It’s unprofessional and absurd looking, completely unbecoming of a newsreader who’s job it is to convey the story not try to be it with 70’s theme disco outfits, panda eyes and mad hair.

A bit? It’s unprofessional and absurd looking, completely unbecoming of a newsreader who’s job it is to convey the story not try to be it with 70’s theme disco outfits, panda eyes and mad hair.
So you don't want newsreaders displaying any sense of self and want them all to look and dress like they did in in the early years of television?

News is now entertainment, and the majority don't want dull staid presentation from news droids. Perhaps you'd be better off sticking to print.

So you don't want newsreaders displaying any sense of self and want them all to look and dress like they did in in the early years of television?

News is now entertainment, and the majority don't want dull staid presentation from news droids. Perhaps you'd be better off sticking to print.
Are you confusing my post with another or something?
The other newsreaders dress normally, nothing “dull, staid or droid” about them and they don’t detract from the job they’re paid to do.

This one is making the news look more like a Father Ted-style Eurovision.

Print is good but perhaps you’d prefer comic-strip illustrations.

That's a bit harsh.

That's a bit harsh.
Simple observation; if that means harsh, so be it.

Media “personalities” are and always will be fair game.

They know this so if they make a spectacle of themselves it’s to be expected.

Media “personalities” are and always will be fair game.

They know this so if they make a spectacle of themselves it’s to be expected.
"fair game" ... "spectacle of themselves" - You think that it is ok to personally attack (ok maybe a too strong word...) due to someones sense of dress code or their use of make up ?

Does it affect you that much ? If so, maybe a change of news source would be recommended.

Reactions: Leo
You think that it is ok to personally attack (ok maybe a too strong word...) due to someones sense of dress code or their use of make up ?

Does it affect you that much ? If so, maybe a change of news source would be recommended.

Yes, too strong-it’s nothing personal as I don’t know them.

Apropos dress sense, it’s lack thereof rather.

The affect it has is detracting from the message and solemnity of the role; they aren’t the news, they’re just reading it.

Affectation has no place in news reading

"fair game" ... "spectacle of themselves" - You think that it is ok to personally attack (ok maybe a too strong word...) due to someones sense of dress code or their use of make up ?

If a male newsreader wore an equivalent outfit, or otherwise inappropriate, they would get the same response.

If you wouldn't wear it to the office as business wear, don't read the news in it.

Some of the outfits worn by that particular RTE newsreader were not appropriate for reading news articles. They were clearly nightclub type wear. Also, imo, they were ridiculous looking even at that. Yes, they made a spectacle of themselves, probably deliberately so as part of something going in internal to RTE, deliberately drawing attention to themselves rather than doing a professional job. And if you are going on TV, making a spectacle of yourself, then yes it's fair game to comment on it.

Either you think there is a dress code that newsreaders should adhere to, or you do not. But if you do, they were not up to that code.

Last edited:
That's it exactly. commenting on the appearance of a public figure is indicative of a repressive attitude. It's very shallow to fixate on the appearance of someone who's job it is to read the news.

We're slowly moving on from a time when those who look a bit different or act a bit different have to hide their true selves in the shadows. Seems some among us are just taking longer on that journey.

Back