RTB - Annual Registration is Coming: 4th April 2022

Ger1966

I got the below mail from the RTB earlier today:

Dear all,

I hope all is well. I am emailing you to inform you that Annual Tenancy Registration is coming into effect from the 4th of April 2022.

This means that landlords must register their tenancy every year, within one month of the anniversary of when that tenancy began. This change will apply to new and existing tenancies.

To assist landlords in the changeover to annual registration, there is a four-month transition period, when no late fees will be charged. This transition period will end on the 3rd of August 2022.

Annual registration will change the standard fees and late fees for registration for the private rental and the social housing sector (see below table). It is important that all landlords review these fees and become familiar with them, as delays in registration, will lead to cumulative late fees being applied.

The RTB will be launching a multi-channel communications campaign shortly to ensure the rental sector are aware of these changes.

In the meantime, please continue to visit www.rtb.ie for the latest updates, follow us on Twitter @RTBinfo, or speak to one of our customer service agents on webchat or by phone Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm on 0818 303037 or 01 702 8100, if you have any queries.

Don’t hesitate if any questions.

Fees for Annual Registration

Private/Student Specific Accommodation (SSA)/Cost Rental Tenancies
Standard Registration FeeApplication received by the RTB within one month of the tenancy commencement date€40
Additional Late FeeApplication received by the RTB more than one month after the tenancy commencement date€10 for every month (part thereof) that registration is late
Composite Registration FeeA reduced fee subject to a maximum of 10 tenancies in one building being registered by the same landlord at the same time and all received by the RTB within one month of the earliest tenancy commencement date€170
2nd Registration or Subsequent in a 12-month periodNo fee applies to the 2nd and subsequent registration in a 12-month period in respect of the same dwelling, providing they are received within one month of the tenancy commencement date of the new tenancyNo Fee

Approved Housing Body (AHB) Tenancies
Standard Registration FeeApplication received by the RTB within one month of the tenancy commencement date€20
Additional Late FeeApplication received by the RTB more than one month after the tenancy commencement date€5 for every month (part thereof) that registration is late
Composite Registration FeeA reduced fee subject to a maximum of 10 tenancies in one building being registered by the same landlord at the same time and all received by the RTB within one month of the earliest tenancy commencement date€85
2nd Registration or Subsequent in a 12-month periodNo fee applies to the 2nd and subsequent registration in a 12-month period in respect of the same dwelling, providing they are received within one month of the tenancy commencement date of the new tenancyNo Fee

Eoghan Murphy legislated for annual tenancy registration in 2019 and the RTB are now getting around to implementing it. You can read his contribution to the initial Dáil debate on the relevant Bill here:

The effect of the change will be to provide the RTB with more up-to-date data on what is going on in the rental market. A problem at the moment is that data are only really collected for newly registered tenancies. Landlords frequently bring up this point when criticising the RTB's rental index, which relies on rents for newly agreed tenancies. So, this change should help clear up any confusion.

The annual registration fee of €40 is modest enough in the scheme of things, but it seems it will be an increase in cost for landlords with average tenancies of >2 years.

Rtb want more money and yearly fees are another way to bring up their funds.
This payment is additional cost to small landlords. So small landlords pay 40euros and approved housing bodies who more than likely given money to buy the houses only pay 20 euros.

Gave tenant notice to leave in December and they are due to leave in July. Now have to pay another fee in April after paying the 90 euros yearly fee last year. Do not expect them to be gone as on rent allowance and house well below market rent. Few properties are available at the moment.

The late fee snowballing by €10 per month looks like a return to the NPPR fiasco. All kicking into place on the week of the August bank holiday when half the country is away. Another debacle and another reason for owners to stop letting altogether.

Rtb want more money and yearly fees are another way to bring up their funds.
This payment is additional cost to small landlords. So small landlords pay 40euros and approved housing bodies who more than likely given money to buy the houses only pay 20 euros.

Gave tenant notice to leave in December and they are due to leave in July. Now have to pay another fee in April after paying the 90 euros yearly fee last year. Do not expect them to be gone as on rent allowance and house well below market rent. Few properties are available at the moment.
Out of interest, how much back and forth with the RTB have you had relating to these tenants? Do you need to re-register the tenancy every time a lease is up at €90 a go, or have you signed a long term lease with the tenants?

The RTB have published data showing that the majority of newly agreed tenancy agreements are below 12 months. See Table A1.5 in the report below. It shows that only around 30% of new tenancies are for more than 12 months. So, an annual fee of €40 seems like it should mean a reduction in costs for the majority of landlords. You might have a better grasp of how this works in practice, so happy to be corrected.

The RTB have published data showing that the majority of newly agreed tenancy agreements are below 12 months. See Table A1.5 in the report below. It shows that only around 30% of new tenancies are for more than 12 months. So, an annual fee of €40 seems like it should mean a reduction in costs for the majority of landlords. You might have a better grasp of how this works in practice, so happy to be corrected.
Hard to imagine though that most tenants will vacate or be evicted as soon as the typical newly agreed tenancy term is up.

Probably obvious to many here but my question is about Further Part 4 tenancies? Have they gone now?

If there is an annual registration from 4th april and tenancies of unlimited duration after 11th july, will they still exist and do they still need to be registered as normal?

Probably obvious to many here but my question is about Further Part 4 tenancies? Have they gone now?
It's very complicated. Current tenancies can be ended after six years with no grounds needed by landlord. But if the landlord chooses not to exercise that right the tenancy then becomes indefinite.

New tenancies after 11 June 2022 will become indefinite by default.

What is security of tenure?​

Security of tenure is a tenant’s right to stay in rented accommodation for a set amount of time. Generally, security of tenure applies automatically when you have been renting for 6 months and haven’t received a valid notice of termination from your landlord in that time. When you have security of tenure, your landlord can only terminate your tenancy for a limited number of reasons, see our document If your landlord wants you to leave.

Initially tenants had the right to stay in rented accommodation for up to 4 years, following an initial 6-month period. This right was introduced under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 and it applies to periodic and fixed-term tenancies. Your tenancy then becomes a Part 4 tenancy and can be followed by a further Part 4 tenancy – both described below.

The Planning and Development (Housing) and Residential Tenancies Act 2016 extended a Part 4 tenancy (security of tenure) from 4 years to 6 years. This applies to all tenancies created from 24 December 2016 to 10 June 2022.

The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 2021 is bringing in tenancies of unlimited duration. This means when you have rented somewhere for 6 months, you then have the right to stay in that accommodation indefinitely (no end date), unless the landlord wants to terminate your tenancy for one of the allowed reasons. Tenancies of unlimited duration will apply to all new tenancies created from 11 June 2022. The legislation also outlines transitional measures for how existing tenancies will move to being tenancies of unlimited duration.

I think the average tenancy in practice lasts four years.

€160 every four years rather than €90 on average.

So, up until now, the only time the RTB would have been notified is when the tenants first moved in? Even if the initial lease was just for 12 months and there was a subsequent lease signed?

I think what I'm really asking is if a tenancy ends when a lease expires or whether many leases can exist relating to a single tenancy?

I have just registered a new tenancy in Late Feb 2022, does this mean I have to register again and pay more money?

Have any Landlords been recently notified by RTB of this new registration fee and implementation. I have a fixed term lease expiring on May 1st.
Its currently registered since last May 1st. I presume I now need to register this again on May 1st to avoid the 10 euro a month fee. Should I expect notification from RTB prior to this.

Have any Landlords been recently notified by RTB of this new registration fee and implementation. I have a fixed term lease expiring on May 1st.
Its currently registered since last May 1st. I presume I now need to register this again on May 1st to avoid the 10 euro a month fee. Should I expect notification from RTB prior to this.
I wouldn't rely on the RTB to inform you in advance.

If the tenants are staying on after May 1st, then I would re-register the tenancy. If they are moving out on or before May 1st, then I would do nothing.

We received no notification in the post of the new yearly registration so far.
We have received a letter reminding us that a 4year or 6 year cycle was coming to and end and that we have to register the tenancy within 30days of the new lease at €90 and if not paid within the 30 days there was an additional charge of €90 euro.
On the letter we were told if there are any changes in rent or tenants we have to inform Rtb by letter or email.

I wonder what happens if you give notice to your tenant to leave as house will be put up for sale in July.
If you pay the €40 yearly registration the tenant will receive a letter stating of the lease/registration and they will think they can stay for another year!

Nothing from RTB - I don't know how they expect older "accidental" landlords to know about this change.

Back