RPZ regime extended to the end of 2024 and increases limited to inflation

Question - is the "substantive renovation" clause still in place?

So if property undergoes significant improvement / renovation since previous tenant, you can let it out at market rate?

Question - is the "substantive renovation" clause still in place?
The "substantial change" exemption is still in place but it has now been defined very narrowly (e.g. an extension that adds at least 25% to the floor area of the property, the renovations result in the BER being improved by at least 7 building energy ratings, etc.).

The "substantial change" exemption is still in place but it has now been defined very narrowly (e.g. an extension that adds at least 25% to the floor area of the property, the renovations result in the BER being improved by at least 7 building energy ratings, etc.).
It would be very challenging to meet one of those conditions in an apartment I think.

There's a few ways you can meet the conditions.

The alternative is not to rent it for two years; depends how behind the market rent you are if thats worth doing.

No matter how you add it up, it really looks like the aim is to remove rental properties from the market.

Well, the legislation won’t apply retrospectively so you should be fine.

if a landlord manages to issue a rent review notice prior to the new " inflation based " rent increase legislation kicking in , what is to stop a tenant saying they did not receive said notification on time ?

Been four years since i was a private landlord so forgive my rusty memory but the RTB dont hear about new rents until they kick in ? , I.E , ninety days minimum after rent review notification is issued , by the time the RTB are aware of a new rent , the new legislation is several months in place

perhaps you can notify the RTB of a rent review issuance at the same time as the tenant and its on the record ?

There's a few ways you can meet the conditions.

The alternative is not to rent it for two years; depends how behind the market rent you are if thats worth doing.

No matter how you add it up, it really looks like the aim is to remove rental properties from the market.

You give the government far too much credit , the policies are purely about trying to keep up with the populism of SF and also try and fend of endless media criticism , hating landlords is an article of faith in public discourse here and the government must keep kicking landlords despite such actions only exacerbating the rental market situation

if a landlord manages to issue a rent review notice prior to the new " inflation based " rent increase legislation kicking in , what is to stop a tenant saying they did not receive said notification on time ?

Been four years since i was a private landlord so forgive my rusty memory but the RTB dont hear about new rents until they kick in ? , I.E , ninety days minimum after rent review notification is issued , by the time the RTB are aware of a new rent , the new legislation is several months in place

perhaps you can notify the RTB of a rent review issuance at the same time as the tenant and its on the record ?
Recorded delivery & email soft copy.

You can do a registered letter if you wish, but recorded delivery is handier I think if you feel you need a record.

Your online orders for example are recorded delivery.

I opt for sending a scanned copy by email with a 'this is the post to you today' message.

The only other problem with a registered letter (if you have a tenant who is really acting the maggot) is that the recipient can refuse to sign & then it makes its slow way back to you.

Mind you, if that's the sort of tenant you have, rent increases are the least of your worries.

You can do a registered letter if you wish, but recorded delivery is handier I think if you feel you need a record.

Your online orders for example are recorded delivery.

I opt for sending a scanned copy by email with a 'this is the post to you today' message.

The only other problem with a registered letter (if you have a tenant who is really acting the maggot) is that the recipient can refuse to sign & then it makes its slow way back to you.

Mind you, if that's the sort of tenant you have, rent increases are the least of your worries.

what is " recorded delivery " ?

never heard of it

When you send something via say UPS - there is a record of the delivery.

Post Office used to do it once upon a time, but these days I think they only offer registered delivery.

Sometimes you'll hear people use the term interchangably, but you only get a recipient signature with registered delivery.

(All pre-COVID of course - doorbell ring seems to suffice these days!)

When you send something via say UPS - there is a record of the delivery.

Post Office used to do it once upon a time, but these days I think they only offer registered delivery.

Sometimes you'll hear people use the term interchangably, but you only get a recipient signature with registered delivery.

(All pre-COVID of course - doorbell ring seems to suffice these days!)

can you send letters domestically with the likes of UPS ? , imagine them or Fed Ex are pricey for that ?

of course but your mentioned UPS ?
It was as an example, there's plenty of similar companies.

As I say, for notifications to tenants, posted letter & email are fine for me. But if you have a concern tenant would try to claim non-receipt, you might prefer to have a record.

It was as an example, there's plenty of similar companies.

As I say, for notifications to tenants, posted letter & email are fine for me. But if you have a concern tenant would try to claim non-receipt, you might prefer to have a record.

Thanks, doesn't effect me as I'm not in that game now but always curious

Well, the legislation won’t apply retrospectively so you should be fine.
Is it that clear cut in the situation being queried i.e. where the notice of increase went out before the implementation date for the new rules, but the increase is due to start after? How was this handled when RPZs were introduced originally?

Tenants have the option to appeal increase notices to the RTB up to the point the increase takes effect, and an increase above the current allowed % seems like reasonable grounds.

Recorded delivery & email soft copy.
An email doesn’t constitute proper notice.

Registered post is the safest option. Whether the addressee signs for the letter is irrelevant - it still constitutes valid notice
How was this handled when RPZs were introduced originally?
Lawful notices issued prior to the introduction of the RPZ regime were entirely valid.

The problem was that there was a 2-year ban on increasing rents in place at the time so a lot of landlords got shafted.

Email is in addition to hard copy, not instead of.

If recipient refuses to accept / collect at post office registered letter will be returned to sender (eventually).

Note: this is pre-COVID experience.

What I do:
  1. Write a letter, sign it, make a scanned pdf;
  2. Email the scanned pdf immediately to tenant;
  3. Take a picture of the stamped, addressed envelope;
  4. Post the letter to tenant;
Highly unlikely a tenant could credibly claim they were not informed with this level of proof. If someone is acting the maggot they can refuse registered post anyway.

Back