Roselawn , Castleknock

You've posted examples before where its wrong. Theres no need to register, you've demonstrated its inaccurate in other threads.

Its based on GeoDirectory. Its not even consistent with itself.

35d3io5.jpg

2lubbiu.jpg

There’s a great little hardware shop in Roselawn shopping centre. I like the area even though the houses are quite ugly.
I used to live in Laurel Lodge which, despite being on the Blanchardstown side of the M50, was referred to as being in Castleknock but I always thought of it as being its own area between Castleknock and Blanchardstown. I always thought of Roselawn as being part of Blanchardstown village since it backs right onto it. It’s nowhere near Castleknock but why’s that a bad thing?

There’s a great little hardware shop in Roselawn shopping centre. I like the area even though the houses are quite ugly.
I used to live in Laurel Lodge which, despite being on the Blanchardstown side of the M50, was referred to as being in Castleknock but I always thought of it as being its own area between Castleknock and Blanchardstown. I always thought of Roselawn as being part of Blanchardstown village since it backs right onto it. It’s nowhere near Castleknock but why’s that a bad thing?

I'm born and bred there - agree with Purple 100% regarding Laurel Lodge being its own seperate area as opposed to Castleknock. Same regarding Roselawn, defo not Castleknock despite what any address says

They're both Dublin 15, right? I think people can call the area whatever they want, but the post office goes by the post code.

I think the post office just deliver to the right place, without getting tangled up in what its called.

Just make sure you pay the right price, it should be a lot cheaper than similar houses closer to Castleknock. But its a decent area whatever you call it. Near trains, buses, shops, schools. Ticks all the boxes. Older houses, so allow for that or look for one thats been modernised.

i'm from glenville - which was always clonsilla. (except when the neighbours sold the house when it was castleknock). roselawn always used castleknock, but it's still in my mind when you go over the bridge.

In terms of amenities, obviously there's the centre (I live near it now) but the villages are getting more rejuvenated. Happily spent two hours in roselawn sc today - hair, clothes, coffee shop, tesco....great little hardware shop...met my dad in the roselawn later!

went to Francis Xavier and Cooline. Buses and trains into town fine

i'm from glenville - which was always clonsilla. (except when the neighbours sold the house when it was castleknock). roselawn always used castleknock, but it's still in my mind when you go over the bridge.

In terms of amenities, obviously there's the centre (I live near it now) but the villages are getting more rejuvenated. Happily spent two hours in roselawn sc today - hair, clothes, coffee shop, tesco....great little hardware shop...met my dad in the roselawn later!

went to Francis Xavier and Cooline. Buses and trains into town fine

over the bridge => defines the real border between blanc and castleknock.FACT!

over the bridge => defines the real border between blanc and castleknock.FACT!

FYI the townland border doesn't run along the bridge/canal at all. I assume it pre-dates the canal and thus the bridge.

Though I'd agree that locally the bridge/canal was/is seen as a border of some kind, at least in my memory. Certainly a good argument that the old townland maps aren't really in sync with current topography anymore. A new postal code system is badly needed.

Why assume a sign is right? Its wrong if you follow the townland map.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2h7qgrq&s=6

The red arrow is roughly where this sign is. Its probably done by one of the local estates, I doubt its an official sign. I'm not saying this townland border in the map is correct or useful. I'm just curious from a historic point of view. It never occurred to me that the townland existed before the canal for example, but of course they would have. Again they are man made borders, not always relevant today. But I assume they technically the last correct address legally unless they change to a postal code system.

Its really got no relevance to how nice Roselawn is as an area.

This sign on the side of the road would seem to be pretty conclusive as to where Castleknock starts

There was absolute war 20/25 years ago when the council put a sign saying Blanchardstow just over the bridge.

The residents and their politicians got it moved.

If in doubt, ramble over to the Ordnance Survey in the Phoenix Park and check the townland boundaries.

The Navan Road is in Dublin........the Castleknock Road is partly in Castleknock.............. :)

Last edited:
again I live in waterville which is castleknock electoral ded despite being half into corduff. all round it is in mulhuddart ded.

parents in glenville are in blanchardstown

I happen to know there is a case before the courts to decide who has naming rights.

Back