Rome

D

Dr Connell

Morining,

Any tips for Rome, thinking of going next month and see there are loads of hotels, any suggestions for one very central? Also any tips on activities amd the like?

All of the 3 star good value hotels are in the termini train station area.From termini station you can get on one of the 2 subway lines that cross the city + its the central bus station.
sights - the vatican city is good its takes almost 3/4 day to see the lot
The Roman forum / coluseum is very good get the guided tour of the coliseum.
spanish steps/trevi fountain are good to see too
plenty of old sights in rome very nostalgic feels to the city
and very resaonable price for food and drink , the hard rock cafe
do lovely food, plenty of irish bars , i supposde everywhere is
cheap these days compared to ireland.
Get a multi day pass for the metro as you will need to use it alot to get around the red line goes all the way from termini station to the vatican
If you fly aer lingus to de vinci airport you can get a train from the airport
to termini station for around 8 euro.
Enjoy Rome !!

i am going there with my wife for the first time in about a week. I'm very excitied. I hope I get to meet Benny.

Anyway I am staying at the Hotel Bettoja Atlantico, near Termini. I did lot sof research and settled on it.

But I don't like staying in 2-3 star hotels unless it is a really modern and nice 3 star.

Ryanir to Campioni airport. 2 return bus tickets (€27 total) to bring us to/from there to Temini Central Station and then a short walk to the hotel.

I've been in Rome many times,besides all the spectical of the museums and art galleries historic sites, the trevi fountain, the wedding cake, Spanish Steps,Colliseum,all the piazzas,not to mention the best Ice cream in the world, there are lots of flea markets, really great value, but be very careful !! No shortage of people pinning you to the wall and riffling your pockets for what they can get.BE VERY AWARE OF THESE PEOPLE, THEY ARE DANGEROUS !
Otherwise The Eternal City is the most Fantastic City of all ! Enjoy.

Ryan Air has recently started operating the Rome (Ciampino Airport) - Dublin route. There is a shuttle bus from the airport to Termini Station (Stazione Termini) about once an hour . It takes forty minutes to get from the airport to Termini Station. The bus tickets cost €8 one way and €13.50 return. The tickets can be bought at the airport.

Toying with the idea of going to Rome for a couple of days in July so glad to see your post Dr Connell. Just wondering who you booked flights with. Aer Lingus are more expensive than Ryan air but AL depart in the evening whereas Ryanair only have an early morning departure and pm departure would suit me better.

I`d like to go in July but would that be a very busy, very hot, crazy time to be in Rome?

Hope you get plenty more replies on the accommodation issue too as I`ll be booking an hotel on the `net before hand too.

Marple

We stayed in the Des Artistes Hotel near Termini and loved it. Small and reasonable. Rome is fantastic, the nicest city in the world in my opinion! Can't wait to visit again.

www.hoteldesartistes.com

.......I'm ashamed, but I can't do the link yokie!! :confused:

Handy Rome tip to save you a few quid.

As noted above there is an express train from Fiumicino Airport to Termini Station - cost is I think more like €10 than the €8 mentioned above.

However there are also just as frequent if not more so local trains that will bring you to Ostiense Station ( I think but doublecheck on the map) .. these cost 1/2 the price of the trains to Termini and at Ostiense you can connect to the Metro just as easily as in Termini (the Metro station is called Piramide I think)

Going to Rome in about 3 weeks and starting to plan it a bit.
Any hidden treasures that aren't listed in the Rough Guide ?
Any bars worth checking out that stock loads of different beers ?

We also stayed in the Hotels Des Artistes, would certainly recommend it.

Avoid buying anything in Vatican city, prices are through the roof for drinks and food

You won't be disappointed with any of the sights

Back