Rise of extremist politics

have a listen at what they propose doing this time if they get into power and you might change your mind. i would the shinners in every time over the greens.
What, specifically, are you concerned about in their proposals?

I don't think we should ban oil and gas exploration and I don't think reducing the pupil-teacher ratio is a good use of public money as it is probably the most expensive thing you can do in education and has been shown to have limited positive outcomes but other than that I'm in favour of 8 of the 10 headline points in their manifesto.
Paying farmers to protect the environment rather than our current policy of paying them to wreck it is, in my mind, a good idea. More public transport is a good idea. More renewable energy production is a good idea, although ignoring Nuclear is stupid and just bad science.
Details here.
Of course they will only ever be a minority party in government so any crazy stull, and probably most of the good stuff, will be ignored.

the real danger for this country is if the greens get into power...…..they will destroy everything in no time at all..
have a listen at what they propose doing this time if they get into power and you might change your mind. i would the shinners in every time over the greens.
Arguably their pro-diesel stance when last in government has cost more lives than anything SF-IRA have done recently... not deliberate so that's more reckless endangerment maybe...
As purple says, be specific, otherwise it's just a pointless post.
In fairness to the Greens, was the prevailing information (which we now know to have been deliberately falsified) at the time not that Diesel was less polluting than petrol?
I won't be giving Eamon Ryan a #1 in my constituency as he's home and hosed I would think but he'll be getting a #3. His position on Metro really annoyed me, agreeing with the opposition to continuing Metro to Sandyford was illogical and suggesting it instead move towards Rathfarnham and Tallaght was just delaying the issue for a decade.

In fairness to the Greens, was the prevailing information (which we now know to have been deliberately falsified) at the time not that Diesel was less polluting than petrol?

It was known to be less polluting in terms of carbon dioxide emissions. It was known its non carbon emissions were more dangerous to humans.

I don't generally engage with the closed minded anti Sinn Fein rhetoric around here, but I read Una Mullally just now and i just wanted to share.

For what its worth I think Una Mulally is an airhead, but if the above article shows what way the airheads are thinking, SF may be on the rise. The airhead vote is as good as any other.

To be honest It is the air heads in Sf who so far have not spotted the own goals FF/FG/LAB have left themselves open to, the pension fiasco is only a teddys bears compaired to the things they have not spotted,

Last edited:
Boyd Barrett got the crowd going.

I was impressed by Eamon Ryan, even though I usually find him condescending.

The crowd seemed up for any indignant lefty point. They were supposed to have been selected to be representative of the electorate. I doubt that.

Leo seemed low energy. Mary Lou had a good night. I think Micheál Martin probably did himself the most good.

Boyd Barrett got the crowd going.

I was impressed by Eamon Ryan, even though I usually find him condescending.

The crowd seemed up for any indignant lefty point. They were supposed to have been selected to be representative of the electorate. I doubt that.

Leo seemed low energy. Mary Lou had a good night. I think Micheál Martin probably did himself the most good.
Michael was very very lucky if Mary Lou was a bit faster she would have buried him She had the Knock out punch when he said the pension age was 65 down hear it is 66 ,the game for FF was over if she was fast enough to pick up on what he actually said,

Last edited:
Sinn Féin TDs have "zero" influence over policy decisions despite being elected to the Dáil, according to a former party member.
Aontú party leader Peadar Tóibín, who resigned from Sinn Féin over his views on abortion, said key policy decisions are made by a "very tight circle" of six or seven people and are then "handed down" to TDs.

The audience was selected independently of RTE and any political party. Boyd Barrett won the night hands down. Mary Lou ran in second, Leo probably gained ground while Michéal lost some. Brendan Howlin chipped away at the rock with a tooth-pick. Eamonn Ryan knew he was onto rising support and just ensured he didn't score any home goals. The rest were also rans and might as well have stayed at home.

The problem for Mary Lou is transferring her debating superiority into number one votes and transfers. Boyd Barrett is safe and said all the things to prick peoples ears even those not in his constituency. Michéal Martin did not perform well overall and suddenly Fianna Fáil looks vulnerable probably at the gain of Fine Gael.

The applause during the debate was favourable to Boyd Barrett and even somewhat for Mary Lou. The applause at the end was fairly sterile for everybody except Boyd Barrett and Mary Lou. But if I were Leo Varadkar or Michéal Martin I'd have the grassroots banging on doors faster than they have been. The intelligent voter hasn't gone away, you know!

RBB did his usual soundbite thing, plays well in a debate a bit like his friend Trump. No own goals like a Garda Station for everyone in the audience like the last time. Not enough alphabet spaghetti candidates in the country for it to make much difference though.
Mary Lou was similar, incredibly light on detail but people inclined to vote for her party aren't into detail.
I thought the "Green" question was a disgrace and the fact there wasn't a specific question about Health given how highly it scores in opinion polls was very odd.
Varadkar did better, fair play for saying he wouldn't reopen Garda stations. Micheal Martin didn't do as well I thought. Eamon Ryan did well when he popped in, possibly wiser not to jump in all the time. Howlin seemed a little irrelevant and being stuck on the edge didn't help. Shortall should have jumped in more, I felt but did well when she did speak.

The next Taoiseach should offer RBB the housing ministerial position just to give them a stick to beat him with when he turns it down! In fairness to him he's an effective speaker but God forbid that he would ever have to try and put into practice any of what he preaches.

The next Taoiseach should offer RBB the housing ministerial position just to give them a stick to beat him with when he turns it down! In fairness to him he's an effective speaker but God forbid that he would ever have to try and put into practice any of what he preaches.
I would not vote for RBB
The above is a silly statement to make, sure he would take it provided he Taoiseach let him put some of what he preaches into practice,:)

Typical RBB getting cheap applause accusing the FF Government of "bailing out the Banks". The reality is that it was Bank depositors who were bailed out, but those applauding RBB missed that. Imagine if the Banks were not "bailed out" and depositors were thus "bailed-in" (as in Cyprus). The demonstrations would have dwarfed the Water Charges protests. But RBB favours cheap populist rhetoric.

Official Result from the Indo:
MM 7
MLMcD 6
Leo 5
BH, RBB 4
ER 3
RS 2
Michael did not win the long game up to 8 february poll and beyond
I agree the pension age should be brought back to 66, where it was before it got changed,
You went on the transition pension between 65 and 66 so the effective pension age if you were working was 66 for a long Number of years back
Michael and all the main parties were saying we could not afford to lower the state retirement pension because the state could not afford to do so ;

FF/FG Must be after finding a Magic money tree to be in a position to lower state pension age one year below NI and UK,

People are not fools the people who moved to SF are not moving back seeing moving is having the correct affect from there point of view on FF/FG I would say Michael will cause more to move to SF before 8 February,
SF did not put up enough Candidates to take advantage of FF/FG dancing to SF tune,

Last edited:
Looks to me that SF have found that same magic money tree based on their manifesto launch today!

Back