Rip Off charged €48.50 by Bank of Ireland for a duplicate bank statement!

BrixnMortar

I have just been charged €48.50 by Bank of Ireland for a duplicate bank statement. No one told about these charges prior to obtaining this statement. Can anyone advise as to what I should do? I can't describe how annoyed I am. Who can I complain to?

Re: Rip Off!

BrixnMortar said:
I have just been charged €48.50 by Bank of Ireland for a duplicate bank statement. No one told about these charges prior to obtaining this statement. Can anyone advise as to what I should do? I can't describe how annoyed I am. Who can I complain to?

You might not have been told, but if you check the T's&C's of your account, you're probably going to find that these charges are detailed in there.

In that case, there's probably not a whole lot you can do about it, unfortunately.

ronan_d_john said:
In that case, there's probably not a whole lot you can do about it, unfortunately.

Oh yes there is - change banks !! And let them know why !!

Fair enough. But the next bank you go to will have the same terms and conditions, and they'll charge you for duplicate statements also - in my experience, even if they are providing a "free banking" account.

Moving banks in this case is an over reaction.
"Dear Mr.Bank Manager,
I'm changing banks because I don't like the T's&C's that I actually signed up to when I opened my bank account.
And now that they're being enforced on me, I'm surprised (either because I didn't read the small print, or because I forgot) and upset, so I'm leaving.
Good bye."

The ideal thing to have done in this situation was to have kept the original bank statements in the first place, and not get into the position of needing dupes at all.

Yes all banks charge in the region of 2.50 - 3.50 per page for duplicate statements. Quite ridiculous. If only internet statements were allowable for loan/mortgage purposes.....

According to the latest [broken link removed], BoI charge €3.80 for first page, and €2.50 for each subsequent page of Duplicate Statements. Other Banks charge similar amounts.

Have you tried asking them to waive it? No harm in asking, sometimes you can be surprised............

If first page costs 3.80 and subsequent 2.50 then how many pages did you get for €48.50.? well it sounds like a lot of money, I would do what the other person suggested and ask to have some of the cost waived.

dear bank manager
am very dis-satisfied .........
I am contemplating changing bank ........I have been a loyal boi customer for x years.
I demand your immediate attention on the matter of this charge
If I have not received written confirmation that the fee has been waived by close of business ......I will be left with no option to instruct you to close my account etcetc
Yours

Don't see it as a rip-off. As a bank customer, I'd prefer that the banks levy the customers who ask for duplicates, rather than spreading this cost against all customers (including me). No harm in asking for it to be waived or reduced, but it's a bit OTT to call it a rip-off.

markowitzman said:
If I have not received written confirmation that the fee has been waived by close of business ......etcetc
I have to hand to you, markowitzman — you don't mess around! :p

Zero tolerance!!
Seriously if they are going to charge 50 euro for a printed page requiring three (if even) clicks of a mouse you have to question it.
I feel they will respect you more for acting and it makes them realise you are watching thinkgs and are not a soft touch.
RainyDay's point is valid though, they are perfectly entitled to charge but I still cant believe they charged 50 euro for one month. Sounds more like a fee for a year's statements.

I've often felt like an awful old 'squirrel', dutifully stuffing away all the monthly bills/statements into a big envelope (stored in work, admittedly, not at home!) — but every now and then I'm glad I have! :)

Fully agree with you on the 'zero tolerance' bit. I mean, 'they' do, don't they...? ;)

Exactly doc! I must admit I have got a few "close of business on so and so date or else!" letters. Not pleasant to receive! May do the trick in this case. If bank manager is a reasonable soul he should waive it. If you really wanted to act the mick you could say your accountant requests a list of all bank charges incurred since the account was opened just in case this was not an isolated case of overcharging.

markowitzman said:
If you really wanted to act the mick you could say your accountant requests a list of all bank charges incurred since the account was opened just in case this was not an isolated case of overcharging.

Was there was an implication in the OP that there was overcharging - i.e. charging more than specific cost?

My take was that it was just that the OP felt that the cost was expensive (a ripoff!) for the service he was getting.

markowitzman, back to your letter to the bank manager, I would fully agree with you if it was something that the bank had done wrong. I'd be outta there like a shot.

However, in this particular situation, the bank are doing what they said they would do in their T's&C's, which the OP accepted when he opened the bank. Move on, fair enough, but it's not the banks fault in this situation.

I worked in a bank many years ago and I have to say that the amount of people who used to request duplicate statements was huge. I often asked them what they did with the originals and practically all of the answers were "Ah! I just threw them in the bin" with a loud guffaw. I have to say I got great pleasure in telling them that there was now a charge for this service. I honestly believe that a charge is justified for the work involved. And there's the nub.

i think that the figure mentioned is a lot of money. how can printing off a piece of paper be so difficult/expensive? there is no way i would pay an amount like that. a mini statement springs to mind. i am not trying to speak for others but i myself think that is terrible. thank god i save my statements. i have every single statement from when my accounts were first opened. if you can, try to keep all statements you get through the mail and put them away safe. BrixnMortar, i see that you bank with bank of ireland. would accessing your accounts online be of any help? you should be able to print the information off yourself.

Alex.

Perhaps in the interests of clarity, BrixnMortar could possibly answer this question posed above by Swallows

If first page costs 3.80 and subsequent 2.50 then how many pages did you get for €48.50.?

Permanent TSB don't charge for this, I requested one last week and was told by the girl on their telephone banking service that they don't charge for them.

BOXtheFOX said:
I worked in a bank many years ago and I have to say that the amount of people who used to request duplicate statements was huge. I often asked them what they did with the originals and practically all of the answers were "Ah! I just threw them in the bin" with a loud guffaw. I have to say I got great pleasure in telling them that there was now a charge for this service. I honestly believe that a charge is justified for the work involved. And there's the nub.

Clearly, the bank you worked for were very customer oriented - NOT! if you treated your customers that way in other industries, u'd be out of business.

Back