"Richard Bruton warned about the dangers of pro-cyclical budgets"

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Fionnan Sheehan has an interesting article in today's Irish Independent under the heading
Political reality is that few politicians were demanding lower spending
[broken link removed]'s [broken link removed], in particular, warned on an annual basis about the dangers of pro-cyclical budgets, where spending continued to rise dramatically and there was an over-reliance on taxes from the property market.

Bruton cried foul about the increase in wages and the failure to deliver value for money from the €1.1bn extra committed per year from benchmarking.

But even within Fine Gael, there were other party spokesmen calling for an increase in spending in their areas and whingeing whenever there was a cutback.

I think that this is a very important issue. I have the impression that FG and Labour roared on the high spending policies of the government.

Back in June 2009, I heard Willie Slattery, the Chief Executive of State Street Investments praising Richard Bruton at a conference in Dillon Eustace as the only politican who had called things correctly. I was surprised at the time and tried to find some evidence of this, but couldn't then either.

Assuming it's correct, it's the type of independent thinking and dissenting voice we need in Irish politics. I didn't notice it at the time. But maybe it got lost in the clamour of calls for more spending.

Does anyone else remember Bruton calling for such cutbacks?

Yes Brendan, I recall him making the point a number of times over the yrs. On another thread it was pointed out that he is the only economist in the Dail, and indeed had done his thesis on the Irish National Debt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bruton

Wikipedia have a synopsis of his qualifications which I believe is accurate:

"Richard Bruton was born in Dublin, and grew up in Dunboyne, County Meath. He is the son of Joseph and Doris Bruton.[1] He was educated at Belvedere College, Clongowes Wood College, University College Dublin and Nuffield College, Oxford.[5] At Oxford he graduated with a MPhil in Economics,[5] his thesis being on the subject of Irish public debt.[1] He is a Research Economist by profession,[6] and after university he worked at the Economic and Social Research Institute. This was followed by two years in the tobacco company P.J. Carroll before moving on to his final private sector job at CRH."

[broken link removed]

The following is taken from the above politics.ie thread - gives some extracts from Brutons dail speaches in response to Brian Cowens budget speaches when Cowen was Minister for Finance:

Here are a few extracts from the responses by Richard Bruton to every budget speech delivered by Brian Cowen as Minister for Finance. There is plenty of other stuff in the speeches about public sector reform and general waste. But the theme i'm highlighting here is competitiveness, the export industry, the very foundations the Celtic Tiger (1987-2001) was built on, and the impact of the construction bubble.

Budget 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Bruton
There is a worrying complacency in Government about the enterprise sector. Few people realise that in the past four years, employment in the exposed sector of our economy has been in sharp decline. The rate of job losses has been more than double that of the mid-90s.
We are facing a tough time in export markets. Since May 2002, export prices have fallen by 15%. Companies trading and competing have had to tighten their costs by 15% but the utilities, stealth taxes, rates and all the other burdens the State puts on those companies have increased by 27%. There is no tightening of belts when it comes to those delivering those services but the companies which have to compete in export markets are feeling the squeeze. Companies are leaving these shores to go to cheaper environments.

Parliamentary Debates (Official Report - Unrevised) Dáil Éireann Wednesday, 1 December 2004 - Page 4

Budget 2006

Quote:
We need to examine what needs to be done to proof ourselves against changing and hardening external environments. No one can have illusions about the change that has happened in the external environment in which Ireland seeks to compete. There is a sharp contrast between the economy Deputy Quinn handed over to Fianna Fáil and the Progressive Democrats in 1997 and the economy the Minister will soon hand back to the rainbow coalition. Superficially, there are many similarities. Employment is increasing rapidly and the budget surplus is healthy, but there are also signs of fragility which cannot be ignored. Approximately 40% of jobs in companies supported by the industrial agencies has been lost since 2000. Many have been replaced but not enough to prevent a sharp decline. Ireland has lost share in its export markets three years in a row. Our export performance is at its worst since 1974 and it is less than a quarter of what is was in the late 1990s.
The problem is that while the construction sector can absorb people and conceal problems in underlying trading sectors, that cannot go on forever. As a small, open economy, we need to survive on the basis of competitive businesses and that is not happening. Ireland’s enterprise strategy was once the envy of emerging countries but it is feeling the strain and the cracks are showing.

Parliamentary Debates (Official Report - Unrevised) Dáil Éireann Wednesday, 7 December 2005 - Page 4

Budget 2007

Quote:
The Government is increasing spending at a rate 50% faster than the growth of national income. Taxes are rising as a result. This year, the Government is continuing the trend by budgeting to increase spending by 11.5%. To put this in perspective, an ordinary worker will be lucky to obtain an increase of4%. The surplus has been cut back at a time when the economy is experiencing pressure on the prices front and when SSIAs are coming on stream. Spending is increasing far faster than national income and tax revenues and this is posing a threat. Many commentators warned the Government about inflation before the budget was put together and I believe they will now be of the opinion that we are on dangerous ground.
The Government has doubled its dependence on the construction sector to support its revenue. A total of 25% of every tax euro spent by the Government comes from the construction sector. We are not in a strong position; we are, in fact, in a vulnerable position.
The real question is whether the Government has done enough to build the capability of the economy to withstand the real pressures under which it is about to come. Those pressures do not merely revolve around the possible slowdown in the housing market; they relate to the relentless march of competition that is coming our way. Our competitiveness has declined in each of the past five years. In the same period, our share of export markets and the level of manufacturing employment have fallen. Some 50% of the jobs that existed in IDA Ireland and Enterprise Ireland industries five years ago have disappeared.

Parliamentary Debates (Official Report - Unrevised) Dáil Éireann Wednesday, 6 December 2006 - Page 1

Budget 2008

Quote:
I give the Minister one cheer for some reform of stamp duty but I do not endorse his housing strategy that is failing so many people. Even the Central Bank, hardly the source of radical thinking, tells us that half the people in the country cannot afford to buy a house and that this is unsustainable. The tragedy is that the bill for high cost Government has come home to roost, not just for taxpayers but for those trying to compete in the real economy.
The Government and its policies accounted for half of all inflation during the past seven years. In addition, it loaded stealth taxes equivalent to €3,500 per annum onto every family. Inflation in sectors controlled by the Government is running at two and a half times the rate that obtains in equivalent sectors in other eurozone countries. Ireland has become a high-cost country primarily as a result of Government action. I will provide one statistic which, more than any other, illustrates this fact. Price increases in sectors controlled by Government during the past seven years stand at 45%. Manufacturing companies trying to export goods abroad — the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Deputy Martin, will be aware of this — have seen their prices fall by 17%. That is the contrast.

Parliamentary Debates (Official Report - Unrevised) Dáil Éireann Wednesday, 5 December 2007 - Page 3

There have been many exercises in revisionism by this government in recent times claiming that the opposition were just as bad as the government if not worse (as Willie O’Dea suggested this week). They claim that nobody saw it coming, or that the opposition never told them to stop, or that the problems are all down to external factors etc…

These extracts show that the alternative Minister for Finance was very much on the ball with his warnings about the economy. He outlined clearly why we were on the wrong track. He warned consistently and relentlessly about the erosion of competitiveness, how this erosion caused the export sector in this country to go into decline and how this decline was masked by a property boom. This is the problem we face today in a nutshell. This economically illiterate government complacently believed that the fundamentals were sound when they so obviously weren't. Richard Bruton saw it coming a mile out but they weren't interested.

Government people often desperately cite the opposition’s election manifestos from the last 2 elections as “proof” that they would have overspent and mismanaged the public finances as much as the government. But as I have stated before on this site, since the 1970s, manifestos in Ireland have become completely discredited. They are merely electioneering tools that, unfortunately, a large portion of our electorate has come to expect. But they are not an indication of how a government will govern on a day to day basis, or the judgment ministers will exercise when making decisions.

The only thing we really have to go by is the past records of the personnel when they were in government, the policy traditions within their parties or, as above, the various clues that give us a vital insight in somebody's way of thinking and show that that that somebody really does know what he’s talking about. Whatever your opinion of the man, it is clear that he at least possessed a most basic economic literacy that this government so sorely lacked.

Thanks

The original link brings you to the politics.ie home page for some odd reason

[broken link removed]

From Bruce Arnold in The Irish Independent July 5 2008

Mary Coughlan seemed to be giving notice that the last thing the Government will do is listen to good advice and take it. That is what they got from Richard Bruton, a serious and dedicated political economist and probably the most gifted politician in the Fine Gael party.

He has monitored the economic life of Ireland with care and objectivity since well before that other storm-trooper, Brian Cowen, took over from Charlie McCreevy, and presided over the old age of the Celtic Tiger.
Cowen has also floundered, in recent weeks and is giving an unmerited message of reassurance, probably because he has not yet prepared the reform package he promised us.

Reform is the basis on which Richard Bruton built his alternative economic strategy, constructing it over five careful years. It is better than the message coming from Fianna Fail. Their approach is to offer reassurances and blame the international situation and oil prices. It excuses setting aside the many overdue reforms.

"More of the same from this Government," Bruton says, "simply won't do. We have to see real change and real reform." Bruton's account of Cowen's 'blunders' is a judgment on the loose hold Cowen had as minister for finance. Then the job seemed easy. Now it is piling up with problems.
The Bruton criticisms are indisputable. They need a detailed response next week.

Cowen is accused by Bruton of reckless inflationary budgets. These were driven by electoral needs and they killed our competitiveness. There were huge increases in day-to-day spending financed by unsustainable property tax revenues. Public sector reform was stalled and any 'value-for-money' discipline failed.

I have read through that thread. I see that Bruton did argue that the financial position was unsustainable. But I don't see any evidence of where he stood up and shouted where the cuts should be.

His [broken link removed]speech is worth reading but he seems to bemoan public spending cuts:

The axe has fallen on many of the discretionary schemes that might give real value to ordinary families.

1. Childcare Grants have been cut.
2. The Primary School capitation has been cut in real terms.
3. The Secondary School capitation has been cut in real terms.
4. The Exchequer contribution to the Local Government Fund has been cut in real terms for the second year in a row.
5. Community employment participation has been cut.
6. The Treatment Purchase Fund has been cut in real terms, even though this is the year in which we were to see all hospital waiting lists eliminated.
7. FAS Training and Integration budgets have been cut by 1/3rd.
8. Social Welfare Employment Support Services have been cut by 1/3rd
9. Investment in Water and Sewage have been cut despite a much acclaimed priority for housing.
10. Urban Regeneration has been cut.
11. The Environmental Protection Agency has been cut.
12. Health Capital spending has been cut, despite the claim that the Hanley Report would be implemented in two regions within 12 months.

I have read through that thread. I see that Bruton did argue that the financial position was unsustainable. But I don't see any evidence of where he stood up and shouted where the cuts should be.

Bruton has been a long time advocate of reducing public spending by making government smaller - things like the abolition of the HSE and other quangos and making Government Departments leaner and meaner.

Back