Revolut increased foreign exchange markup

tomdublin

Revolut is increasing its foreign currency markup from 0.5% to 1% once users go over 1000 euro per month. This announcement is strategically buried in today's "update to t&cs" email underneath a lot of pointless drivel about updated app design. For those travelling a lot outside the eurozone this is potentially quite significant as Revolut is now only marginally more competitive than other providers. I fear the 1000 euro monthly allowance will soon disappear too.

I got the email today. Currency exchange is the 2nd item, large heading, not buried at all:

Currency exchange fees​

For Standard customers, currency exchange fees will remain the same up to a fair usage limit of €1,000 per month. For exchanges above this limit, our fees are increasing from 0.5% to 1%. Weekend rates aren't impacted by this change.

For exchanges above this limit, our fees are increasing from 0.5% to 1%.
I don't think it's unreasonable given that there's no monthly fee for customers on the Standard contract.

I converted about €2,500 recently and avoided fees by doing it gradually over three months.

I don't think it's unreasonable given that there's no monthly fee for customers on the Standard contract.

I converted about €2,500 recently and avoided fees by doing it gradually over three months.
Yes, I've done the same this year, avoiding weekends too.

It's not remotely buried in the email!! And anyway I think it is fair enough. Once again there is pearl clutching when a financial institution tries to make money!

Back