Revenue Job Assist for Social Welfare recipients starting a new job

MandaC

Re: How to check if you are paying too much tax

Revenue Job assist is an allowance which is does not get much publicity and I would reckon is one of the least claimed allowances. Qualifying candidates can also keep some of their benefits including medical cards, fuel allowances for up to three years in some cases.

There are also valuable reliefs available for employers.

JOB ASSIST (Long Term Unemployed taking up a Job)

There is a special tax relief for people who have been unemployed for one year or more and who take up a job. The relief in the first year of employment is €3,810 plus €1,270 for each child, reducing to two-thirds of that amount in Year 2 and one-third in Year 3.

Who can Claim? An Individual who -
  • Has been continuously unemployed for at least 12 months and
  • Is in receipt of Unemployment Assistance/Benefit, One Parent Family Payment, Blind Persons Pension, Disability Allowance or
  • With effect from the 01/01/06 Invalidity Pension for at least 12 months or Disability Benefit for at least 36 months
The following categories of prisoners will also qualify for Job Assist
  • With effect from 31st of July 1998 prisoners released under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement can qualify provided the period spent in prison was for a continuous period of at least 12 months, immediately prior to the date they start the job
  • With effect from the 1st of January 2006, if an individual has been released from prison then periods spent in prison are deemed equivalent to periods of unemployment
Conditions to QualifyClaimant must take up an employment which -
  • Starts on/after 6th April 1998
  • Is for a minimum period of 30 hours per week
  • Is capable of lasting 12 months and
  • The previous holder was not unfairly dismissed
  • The employment is not primarily commissioned based (i.e. over 75% of earnings derived from commission)
  • There were no redundancies in the company in the previous 26 weeks
  • It is not an employment where the employer required no workforce.
Reference MaterialLeaflet - IT 58 (Employee)
Leaflet - IT 59 (Employer) - For all Employer queries

Would i be eligible for this if I went looking for a job abroad? My situation was this; I went abroad for 12 months. I claimed unemployment benefit for the first 3 months there through the Irish system. I could not find employment for the next 8 months. Returned home and claimed unemployment for 1 month. Then I took up a job. Given that I was without a job for 12 months and then took up a job having previously claimed unemployment benefit, would i be entitled to this?

Would i be eligible for this if I went looking for a job abroad? My situation was this; I went abroad for 12 months. I claimed unemployment benefit for the first 3 months there through the Irish system. I could not find employment for the next 8 months. Returned home and claimed unemployment for 1 month. Then I took up a job. Given that I was without a job for 12 months and then took up a job having previously claimed unemployment benefit, would i be entitled to this?

You must be on the live register for 12months +, if you left the country for 8 months, then I can see how you where.

Jaid

Back