revamping bathroom on the cheap

Gordanus

I've been reading old threads on doing up bathrooms and it seems I need about 3000 to do it. I'd really prefer not to replace the old bath, as it is a different size (narrower, shorter, deeper) to the standard modern size, and it fits really well into its alcove. There are two problems:

1. it would need to be re-enamalled as it is stained

2. it has a rolltop edge, so that there have been water leakage problems to the room below when using it as a shower.

Has anyone had a bath re-enamelled, and if so did it work well? And who would you recommend? (Dublin)

Is there any way around the leakage problem? Being able to use it as a shower would be great. I've looked at classi-seal, but the bath 'edges' are rounded too. Sort of like this:

I'd be grateful for any help!

make a wet room out of the floor and partly up the walls and that will solve the problem of leaks below. just have any outlets through the floor well sealed

Ok, as per Leo, omit the recommendations...

It's just I seem to remember people not being very happy about resurfacing if they'd had it done, makes me wonder if it is ok. My half memories go back a long time, and I'd no interest in it then. But have to admit that I really don't want to get a bath that won't fit, seeing the old one fits so well.

Hastalavista, I presume that means having a drain in the floor? Can that be done in an old house, on the 1st floor?

Thanks for replying!

Put a shower curtain in the bath for showers and make sure that it is inside the bath when taking a shower.

I was pleased with result of changing an orange coloured bath to white by one of the well known companies. But some bottle with sharp edge did scratch it... perhaps before it was fully dried out as have not any further damage. It was worth doing as a cast iron bath and hard to get out and perfect fit. I got new loo and basin and retiled.

Back