Retire at 55, what do you think?

Work plays an important role in peoples life and when it's there one day and gone the next it can be quite a shock to the system, so for some people presumably like yourself easing yourself into retirement or finding the correct work/life balance is the way to go rather than making the final cut!!
We have a policy where I work that we talk to people who are retiring and ask them if they want to continue part time. They might want to work mornings or a couple of days a week but we accommodate whatever they want. Nearly all want to remain working in some capacity for a few years. We also don't have a mandatory retirement age so we've a few people in their mid 70's still working fulltime.

I don't get the retiring at 55 thing. I could certainly see working 2-3 days a week at 55 but retiring fully? I'd find that hard.
Taking long holidays, not working in a decision making or high stress role, 4-5 day weekends. All that sounds great but not retiring fully.
Each to their own I suppose, I don't get the whole not wanting to retire at 55 thing, if you can afford it or course. Part time without any stress would be fine too, but I'd be more than happy to be in full control of my time, and not having structure and routine doesn't scare me one bit.

I don't get the retiring at 55 thing. I could certainly see working 2-3 days a week at 55 but retiring fully? I'd find that hard.
Taking long holidays, not working in a decision making or high stress role, 4-5 day weekends. All that sounds great but not retiring fully.

I would love to retire at 50-55. I've a lot of hobbies though and love being outdoors. I do also get your point about working part time in a low stress role, I think this would be great too. I'd probably do that also.

Someone else mentioned health and it's a great point, you need to look after your physical and mental health, without good health, there is nothing else!

I am on track to retire, should I chose at 50.

I very much want to be in a position to chose whether to work on a part time/casual basis beyond that point for interest/engagement - but I do not want to to obligated to have to do so. The flexibility in the approach from Purple's co. mentioned above is amazing.

I could semi retire now, leave my well paid job and get some reduced pressure gig on a quarter of the salary but would need to do this for up to 10 years vs working full time on high pay for 3 more years and then cashing in me chips. The only thing holding me back from switching now is I might end up with an equally annoying job and have to do it for longer...

Not being flippant, but how can you plan for your health or anyone else's health ?
Having private health insurance is a good start. After that, taking care of yourself and hoping others in the family circle do likewise. A bit of good luck along the way helps too.

I retired 3 years ago at 48 but was bored within 2. I returned to part-time work (20 hrs over 3 days) for non financial reasons. I was busy during retirement but I believe most people need some structure in their lives and interaction with others..this is very important. My advice would be to work part-time if possible and develop your interests outside of work and enjoy yourself..

Read back over all this thread and I noticed that everything is based on having enough dosh to retire at a set age. Yet, not a mention of health or the many other things that have a habit of putting a total kibosh on future plans. Make sure you have plans for your health, and your families health in order. Even then, many things outside of your control could happen.
I have a similar perspective noproblem but I guess this is more a financial advice and info site than a health and lifestyle one. I appear to be of very similar vintage to Cervelo but my plan is to hopefully step off the full-time working treadmill in 5 years time and do PT, consultancy or similar.

I too have tried to take a number of steps to improve my health, keep myself fit (thank you ParkRun) and to cut out some bad habits. Not fully sorted on all those fronts yet but very mindful it is important to get serious about it. It’s a combination of financial health, physical health and mental health you need to focus on.

No point having a stuffed gold plated retirement fund if you aren’t in the health or around to enjoy it.

g

I have a similar perspective noproblem but I guess this is more a financial advice and info site than a health and lifestyle one.
Of course, and you're correct. A few things to note on retirement and getting to a certain age. It may not be the case with being only 50. You'll pay less tax, won't need as much money and have free public transport. In other allowances you may get free TV licence, free GP visits and a household benefits package that will help with your electricity and heating bills. These are just a few perks.

Retiring fully (as in never working for money again) is a big deal. Ensure you are ready for it. Everybody's needs are different. Be cold, think of yourself and your spouse only and drive on with your own initiative and (most importantly) don't look back. I retired at 65 and now I wish I retired earlier. We're off to Italy on a whim next week for a few days. Come summer we're off to Spain for a minimum of 9 weeks. Run your own life and don't leave others have influence.

Where would your income come from when you hit 55? You probably need to calculate this, against possible outgoing. In ten years your kids will be college going age. My expectation of kids at that age is that they will be as expensive as ever, possibly more expensive than ever. Would you have this factored in?
....possibly more expensive than ever. They want your car as well and never fill the tank.

Stop smoking, improve your diet, reduce your alcohol intake and take more exercise.
That's fair enough, and good advice, and will always help for sure. However, almost everyone I know who suffered severe bad health in their middle ages were the ones in the group that had the healthiest lifestyles, and statistically would have been the last person you would have thought would have bad health. It's like Mike Tyson used to say - Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

That's fair enough, and good advice, and will always help for sure. However, almost everyone I know who suffered severe bad health in their middle ages were the ones in the group that had the healthiest lifestyles, and statistically would have been the last person you would have thought would have bad health. It's like Mike Tyson used to say - Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
Either you're living in some very strange statistical glitch, or you have a touch of confirmation bias, in only seeing what you want to see.

They're the best things you can do to plan for good health. There are no guarantees in this area, so you could indeed do everything right and still end up with a serious health issue. You could do everything right healthwise and get hit by a speeding driver.

But many, many health conditions and issues are lifestyle related, and we can do a lot to improve our health outcomes.

Back