'reserve not met' - bidding on eBay

joanod

Hi all,

Ive been watching an item online that I would like to buy there are a few hours left. I am not very experienced at this so I would like a little advice from more experienced purchasers.

Heres my problem the item has a reserve and I dont know what it is, it has a buy it now tag and there doesnt seem to be anybody else bidding at the moment.

What should I do:

Offer the buy it now price
keep bidding in small amounts
or
Ask the seller what he will sell it for
Tell the seller my best price below the buy it now figure and hope or the best?????

I think its a bargin and I would really like it!!

Any advice would be great..

Thanks

J

Re: Help - 'reserve not met' - I need advice on bidding

Keep bidding in small amounts until you reach the reserve price and/or the maximum you're prepared to pay. Only click on "buy it now" if you think it's a one-off item that you won't easily find again and you're happy to pay that price (plus p&p — have you checked that cost?)

Moved to Miscellaneous Non-financial Questions.

Yep I checked the p&p cost and I am ok with that.

Could it be that the buy it now price is the reserve - would that be possible.

Thank you for taking the time to reply DrMoriarty.

J

The reserve is probably slightly lower than the "buy it now" price; if you keep bidding in small increments you'll find out!

Have you checked the seller's reputation/feedback?

Feedback is excellent all v. good

put in the max your willing to buy or just email the seller and ask what the reserve is.if its 20e then put a bid in for 20.50 and hope no one else bids.

If it's ebay or similar, then chances are all the bidding will happen in the final hour or few minutes of the auction.
If you think it's a bargain at the buy it now price, then buy it now before you lose it.
Other wise the current bid price is almost irrelevant.

What's the item number? I might put in a rival bid at the last minute. ;)

You do know that with automatic bidding you can put in your highest offer and the system will only bid as much as it needs to to keep you in front, but will prioritise your (earlier) bid in the event of someone counterbidding? ...unless they hit the "buy it now" button, of course.

Hi Thanks for that, Cleverclogs and Tiger.

Would it happen that it may not sell at all and go for auction again. I understand what your saying tiger, the buy it now price is about 300% higher than the current bid!

I'll prob have to set the alarm clock for the middle of the night! to watch it. its mad but I could save a nice few euro!

J

Guys,

It went as far as 200% below the buy it now and the reserve was not met I stop bidding and was the highest bidder I had a best offer of 100% below the buy it now but the item did not sell.

What happens now? Will it go up again? Will he buyer get back to me? or is it all over I just have to find another one?

If anyone has been in a similar situation I appreciate suggestions, by the way I asked the seller what the reserve was he wouldnt say!

Thanks
j

you can mail the seller and ask what their reserve is, its pretty common practice.

sorry: just read your last comment that you had already. strange he wouldnt say what the reserve is. he wants to sell and you want to buy, I dont get that..

look elsewhere else you could go through another round of bidding if it goes back up and youd still come under the reserve.

it willl probably go back up for auction again.is it ebay ?if you bid and cant be by your computer,then you can have the item text to your phone.so if you bid example 5e and someone out bids you ,you ate text the outbid amount and then you just reply to the txt with your next bid.20c per text.

Thanks car for your reply,

Ive just looked again, and the item is up for auction again for another 30days!

The buy it now has increased and there is nothing about a reserve, the seller musnt want to sell that badly!

I look around for the item at a bargain price elsewhere.

J

I've had items on my watched list reappear as the item was relisted, not sure if this happens automatically.
I find ebay is mainly new items now, with lots of small shop "power sellers". There's few real bargains there and few unique items also.
I've also used the saved searches to alert me when something comes up (e.g. located in IRL only)

Yes cleverclogs its ebay, I suppose its a learing curve! Thanks Tiger for your reply also.

Im watching the item so if I will see it as its bid on for the next 30days!

Thanks all

J

Back