Replacing open fire with a stove query?

Good idea I,ll try to get something together Paddy, I'll keep it general rather than specific brand names.

FMC we want specific brand names really.

We are thinking of putting in a Stovax Riva 40 or 55 as they seem the most modern and easiest to retro fit into an existing fireplace. Cheapest quote so far is e1400 so they are not cheap. You do have to have a flush opening for them though. A few fireplace shops have recommended them as they work best for the Irish fireplaces.

Not sure effie they seem to have scanned the websites more than actual reviews from people using them and they have arrow stoves with a very good review and good garuntee then stratford boiler stoves further down from the same company with not such a good review.
Feek the only reason I would want to keep it general is because i dont sell every brand of stove so have little feed back on say a Charnwood stove but I know by reputation they are good, also i dont want to be seen to be just pushing products i sell.

Take your point regarding the review FMC but given that there are no other reviews out there that I know of, at least it is a starting point.

I have now seen another fire which I think sounds promising called a RIVA Cassette fire made by Stovax.

Has anyone any experience of these fires and any issues regarding them?

Agreed Effie stovax are very good casettes we sell a good few of them and our fitter has one in his own house. There are several people on here that have them I think.
The 40 fits a standard opening and is about 5kw out the 55 may need a bit of work and will depend on the height of the lentil/flue gather.

Thanks FMC.

I am thinking of getting one installed as a hole in the wall but doing the preparation work of removing the old fireplace etc. before getting someone in to install it.

DO you by any chance know anything about the additional vents which I have been led to believe can be got with this system and how far from the cassette can they be positioned and just how good are they? Is there any difficulty with venting to an upstairs room from downstairs without there being an issue with possible breeching fire regulations do you know?

Hi I am looking for a good price for Riva 55 and none of them came even close to €1400. I'd be very grateful if you could you let me know where you got this quote from. Thanks

Marrduff not sure where that price was if it was ex vat then maybe but we are usually E1900 inc vat E1563.00 ex vat. If you can get it at E1400 inc vat go for it.

If you are looking for cheap stoves check ouy qualitystoves.co.uk, you will not get them anywhere cheaper, i'v nothing to do with the company but i'v done a serious amount of research into looking for a bargain, even after you pay for delivery into the country they still work out way cheaper in comparrision to just buying them in the shops here. Hope this helps

hi
i'm planning on changing my open fireplace and putting in a solid fuel stove(non boiler). the inset stove has been recommended. have any of you any recommendations as to the best type of insent stove available ? the stove that i have been recommended is called the Kenia 60 has been recommended. any advice would be most welcome.

I have a related query. I'm removing a fireplace and replacing with a stove which will set on a new granite hearth. I've seen several samples in brochures etc but am wondering the best way to finish around the old fireplace. Would rendering it with a sand mix be best or would plasterboard be suitable. Would attach an example if i could figure out how. Some pics on this link:

[broken link removed]

Thanks

Galway galway depends on the room size and fireplace opening size. A kenia 60 will not fit into a standard opening so unless yours is bigger you may have the cango out.

cgc again depends on how far from the wall the stove will be usually a double skin of plasterboard is used a sand screed would be fine but may crack if too much heat is near it or too much heat is used too fast.

hi fmc

the room dimensions are 3.9m x5.3m.

the size of the fireplace opening is as follows (just measured it!) the opening is 18inches in width, the depth from back of fire to front of grate is 12.5inches (the backing of the fireplace is not concrete but is part of the fireplace). i think i can take out the inner part of the firesurround so that i can keep the main part of my fire place surround. if you think the kenia 60 is not suitable is there any other inset non boiler type of stove that you would suggest and why?

Well a picture if poss tells a thousand words. If you remove fireback which is 18 and and assume 2" each side of that =560mm so it could be tight but I would say you could shave another bit if needed with a saw or cango also need to check the height from your hearth to the pre cast flue gather as this will be difficult to adjust if needed . If your keeping your existing fire surround you will be left a 3" gap between the surround and the wall that needs to be tiles or filled assuming a standard f/p is there.

On the basis of an 8ft ceiling a 5-6kw stove is loads. imho an easier installation would be esse 350, riva 40 or bronpi bristol from the same company that do the kenia.
Reasons: Straightforward install loads of heat only downside being you wont have as big a viewing area of the fire and cant use very large logs.

Hi fmc

thank you so much for your help and advice. i really want the view of the fire, which is why i went for the kenia. at least now i have some idea as to what is needed, i will need to get someone to look at it for me though to see that the kenia will fit!!

thank you so much, i must get someone to measure the fireplace correctly for me so i get the right one! do you happen to know how much the kenia is and if you stock them?
dympna

Hi Dympna,
I don't have it in stock but can get the Kenia 60 and retail is E1250 inc vat.
Theres more info on stoves and fuels on my blog which can be accessed vis the site on my signature. Give me a shout if you need any more info.

Hi Fergus

you mention a MulberryStoker solid fuel stove on your blog-I cant find any information on the Mulberry site about it. As I have explained to you before we have a fireplace in our sitting room with a back boiler servicing 10 rads in the house. We really want to tighten up the house more and feel that the stove is the way to go. Can you tell me anything about the above stove.

Many Thanks yet again

Hi fluffy,
The Mulberry stoker is just released and stocks are low at present but its not a boiler stove so may not your situation. Its about 6kw output but would normally insert againest the fireplace and would require a fireback in place. It wont heat any of you back boiler and the back boiler would need to come out and be replaced by a fireback.

To heat 10 rads via the fire I think your looking at Stratford Si40 from arrow, similar model from Charnwood but dont know the name, greenswitch from esse modeled along the lines of the esse 350 but has a boiler but is more expensive than it should be imho, Parkray consort. All these range price wise from E1700-E2400 but giive only a smalll amount of heat to the room 2-3kw on avg so may also have the rad in the room being fed from it too which is usually the case anyway.

Back