Replacing gas boiler

peteb

Hi

I've had my house for 11 years now. And it was fitted with a nice cheaper boiler by the builders. Its a SIME with analogue timer on the boiler. There's no heating controls. Its always made a silly amount of noise for the last few years. Every time its serviced the guys keep saying its probably the pump, its on its way out. But its still ticking a long but who knows how efficiently.

Should I bite the bullet and replace it now with something with heating controls. I dont really have the money. But I've child number 2 on the way in January 2017 and I'd rather be ahead of the curve in terms of replacing it than getting caught out at some stage.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy?

My 2c (for what it's worth).
I'd replace it over the summer. You will get a good plumber, and might be able to negotiate as they are quiet this time of year.
Otherwise, I can guarantee Murphys law will operate, in that your current one will fail at 9pm on a cold Friday night of an October Bank Holiday weekend. You will also gain from the efficiencies of a new condenser boiler, and if there are no thermostats/heating controls, you can have these fitted (wireless if necessary) at the same time.
I am not sure, but there may be grants available for the upgrade.

you share the exact same view as my wife. Which i dont disagree with per se. Its just not having the cash on hand to do it.

I've an even older Ideal boiler. Bord Gais rang me a few years ago trying to sell a boiler upgrade. When I told them what I had, the guy on the phone told me to hold on to it, is it would likely outlive the new ones they were selling!!

Take a look at the SEAI's [broken link removed] scheme for available grants.

Ah OK, if you can avail of the grants (Revenue [broken link removed] might apply too), then it might be as good a time as any to bite the bullet.

But I'm too rich for that for Warmer Homes scheme. I have to be on some form of benefit.

I see on some other companys website that Electric Ireland give additional grants towards the same kind of thing. Anyone know how that works? I'd happily move back to EI if it saved me more money.

Back