Replacing an 11 year old gas boiler

Discussion in 'Home energy' started by peteb, Jan 16, 2017.

1. peteb

peteb Frequent Poster

Hi Folks

I posted here before and the advice was useful. Had the boiler serviced last week and the upshot is that it needs replacing.

Any recommendations as to a boiler type and someone to do it? I obviously dont want cheap. But dont really want to pay more than 2k either. (new baby on the way. Second one!!)

current boiler is a SIME with no controls. Just a thermostat downstairs. Its a 3 bed house. Is it worth getting zone controls? Does it cost a lot more?

thanks

2. peteb

peteb Frequent Poster

ok. I'm revisiting and bumping this. I'm considering getting an 18KW Ideal logic gas boiler with full chemical power flush (suitable for a standard 3-4 bedroom home) € 1650. comes with a 5 year warranty. Any opinions on this boiler?

Also on controls on the immersion so the immersion heats the water. Is it more economical to use the immersion and electricity or the gas boiler with heat turned down? Would have thought gas was cheaper.

3. Shallow Hal

Shallow Hal Frequent Poster

We replaced our gas boiler about 3 yrs ago,we installed a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 618 Condenser boiler,cost us €1800,really good boiler,very quiet and the heat output is great for our 4 bed semi and has the capacity if we ever got the attic converted.

peteb likes this.