Replacing a wooden front door/porch structure

firsthouse

Hi guys,

I was wondering if i can get any advice on the below regarding cost.
At present i have a wooden porch structure as my front door on my house.
Its not really a porch as there is no inner door so essentially it is the front door to my house. The surrounding structure is wood with glass panel windows with a slated roof.

I am looking to replace the wooden/glass panels with brick and a new PVC door keeping the slated roof.

Can anybody advise on the cost i should be looking at for this to be done?
At present the heat escapes through the front door and totally inefficient
Any advice or different options are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Firsthouse

Did something similar, used local handyman who has worked for me before; make sure your new structure is well insulated & has DPC. In my case the work was done piecemeal as and when my handyman was available and I paid him accordingly.

I'd say all told it was around 2k - the expensive element was the two french-style doors I put on the porch, which was around 1,200...I was shocked at how expensive front doors are!

Thanks Thirsty, i had french doors fitted at the back of my house last year and had similar price so i can relate to the abuse your wallet took!!
I have been told the brick work, insulation work, plastering etc would be costly and different people saying it could run into excess of 5k.
I thought that might be a bit extortionate to be honest and this is why i was looking for any info from somebody who has had similar before i get some quotes from reputable builders hoping not to be taken for a ride.

I already had a brick wall on one side and the other two sides were glazed; so didnt have any blockwork done.

From my often not good memory...this is what I did
DPC and concrete plinth (to level of hallway)
Glazing / french doors
Removed old front door
Internal porch roof - insulation, base, plastered
Floor tiling
Painting (I did this)

Is insulation important, I had original block work and put a PVC door on this but didn't think about insulation. Would this make a big difference???

Where would one source this insulation at a good price? The space is very small so not too sure if its worth paying someone to do it... Could be an easy DIY job for myself in the spring.... How is this normally attached to the brick and would it need to be plastered??? Cheers

Where would one source this insulation at a good price? The space is very small so not too sure if its worth paying someone to do it... Could be an easy DIY job for myself in the spring.... How is this normally attached to the brick and would it need to be plastered??? Cheers

After the fact is too late to do a good job effectively for a reasonable cost. Too many thermal bridging issues to deal with.

Back