Repaying Loan after break up??

S

Setanta10

I recently got a loan out in my name only for €30,000.In that time I have split up with my girlfriend and though she had commited to paying half the re-payments on the loan she is insisting only on paying one third of the amount.
I have bank statements to prove that she has set up a Direct Debit to cover this reduced amount and paid into my current account and I also have statements that show my lodging half the money to her account before the break up.(naieve I know!!).

Do I have any recourse now to force her to repay her share of the debt or am I landed with it?

"and I also have statements that show my lodging half the money to her account before the break up.(naieve I know!!)."

Was this ( ie lodging half to her account) a gift or a loan?

What was loan for ? Its a lot of money to lodge into someone's account.

Can you repay it now? Or do you need to go the full term?
If this was a "joint" loan ( noting that actually taken in your sole name) you can sue for any loss but outcome will depend over what period the loan was to be repaid i.e. when do you sustain the overall loss.

Also, do you want to sue your ex? Sometimes better for personal peace to let it go, difficult as that may be.

mf

Repaying loan

I expect you are right.She had access to my Pin code and transferred into her account before I could get my hands on it via AIB 24 Hr Banking.

I think you have a point regarding sueing the ex.Maybe.
:-(

I appreciate the advice.many thanks for the effort.

Repaying loan

Setanta10
"I also have statements that show my lodging half the money to her account before the break up.(naieve I know!!)."

"She had access to my Pin code and transferred into her account before I could get my hands on it via AIB 24 Hr Banking."

Which is correct???
Rgds
Red

Repay my loan

She had access to my account and transferred it before we could discuss the division of it.

Re: Repay my loan

Well then one of two things happened (from a legal point of view).

Either, she stole €15,000 from you
or you have her €15,000

If it's the former tell her you'll press charges. I presume the relationship is over anyway, no point losing 15000 as well.

If it's seen as a gift, I think she'll owe 20% of €12,000 which is €2400 to the revenue commissioners. (The first €3000 of the gift is exempt.) Obviously she'd prefer the latter, but you'd get less.

Tell her you're going to the gardai for theft. If that doesn't scare her, then do it, go to the gardai. But don't wait around on this.

One thing, was there an agreement in the first place that you'd give her half? Or did she just take it?

-Rd

Is there any reason why she came to the conclusion that she should only pay one third back as oppose to half ? Had you agreed to split the original figure 50/50. If so why did she feel the need to take it without telling you ? Sounds as if she 'stole' it to be honest which means you are within your rights to report the matter to the police.

Setanta10,

You need to do two things.

1. Get on the phone and change your pin straight away.

2. As advised already, tell her you're going to the guards and then go to the guards.

best of luck.

Back