Repair 2013 car or trade in

Nicetoknow

We have a 10 year old car (skoda octavia), 110 km on the clock.

It's going into the garage tomorrow because it's been making a terrible noise. It's also due to go for NCT in Nov (although I've just checked and it seems there are no appointments available in the next 6 months). I also scraped the side recently so it needs a dent and a scrape fixed.

I'm worried we'll get a big bill and wondering how much one should spend repairing an older car. Would it be crazy to spend 3k on repairs?

Last edited:
110km is nothing. Is it a diesel or petrol? If its a diesel then you could drive it for at least another 5 years or spend whatever your budget allows its really only you can answer. Price exactly what it will cost, Skodas are reliable solid car,it may be a lot less than you think.
Does the dent/scrape really have to be repaired? or can you live with it?
As for NCT spend 30 mins refreshing the page in the evening and you'll eventually get a cancellation. I did it recently and got an appointment the next day.

I looked up nct too last week and sure enough end Feb next appointment, there is a an option to add to priority list and I have an appointment this Thursday, now you can't pick and choose entirely but it was quick!

Your next car will probably be electric at this stage ? so I would hang on to it as long as possible, and if 3k got you another 4 or 5 years, it would be money well spent. I can't see how they are going to get the numbers they want/need for electric vehicles, given the cost and lack of second-hand market, so there will probably have to be decent scrappage scheme at some point before 2030 to try and get the increasing number older cars off the road, driven by people who wont/ cant shell out for a new electric. I hope anyway, otherwise i'lll be driving a 20 year old diesel by then

I have a 2013 Ford Focus Diesel 200K + KM on the clock. Between servicing, replacement battery and 4 new tyres I have spent the bones of €1.5K on it in the last two years. I fully intend to keep it for another 5 years or so all going well. I also scraped the side of it recently which will cost me circa €500 to have fixed by a local guy. I got a quote from a body shop for circa €2K.

A 10 year old car is a 10 year old car. If it fits your needs and desires spend what money you are comfortable with spending. It doesn't need to look like an oil painting but if it's safe and up to NCT standard its lifetime is unlimited within reason.

Last edited:
Your next car will probably be electric at this stage ?
We don't know how long the OP has owned the car and if they're driving above or below it's average of 11k km per annum, but if they are doing low mileage, I don't think the added premium of an EV would make financial sense at this point in time. It's still difficult to predict how today's EVs will fare in terms of depreciation given the rate of development in battery technology.

Would it be crazy to spend 3k on repairs?
2013 Octavias are selling for €7-10k. €3k is a significant chunk of that. It might be worth looking at what a dealer might give you for a trade in. Adding ~€15k could get you a decent 2020 Octavia.

If keeping the car for another few years, it’s worth getting the dent fixed.

Older cars can look and drive great if they’re well maintained.

We have a 10 year old car (skoda octavia), 110 km on the clock.

It's going into the garage tomorrow because it's been making a terrible noise. It's also due to go for NCT in Nov (although I've just checked and it seems there are no appointments available in the next 6 months). I also scraped the side recently so it needs a dent and a scrape fixed.

I'm worried we'll get a big bill and wondering how much one should spend repairing an older car. Would it be crazy to spend 3k on repairs?
Shop around to get dent and scrape fixed. it might cost you a lot less than you think. Quotes for the same job from different panel beaters will vary wildly in my experience.

110k on a Skoda Octavia is nothing. I've seen some with over 300k on the clock

Thanks all for the advice. Got the bill today and it was 367 for a service. The worrying noise is gone and I'm delighted.

Next up is getting the dent fixed and if I can get it sorted for 500ish I'll be happy out.

We've had the car 6 years and have spent less than 1k on it to date which is pretty good going.

Thanks again.

Back