Rental properties in Manchester

how come a a small one bed is 400 ...coming down to 360 for a two bed...is that 360 per square foot....? how much is rent? that woud mean that an apt is about 235k (650 sq ft) rent 850...?yes?

yeah that is price psf

360 is too high most new schemes out now are headlining at c.£300 psf

bearishbull said:

I understand that it is possibly GN Tower that has suffered the pull out on 100 on the units.

Investors can still get up to 15% off headline rates off plan if they are buying a few apartment and you are still getting in excess of 5% which is a lot better than in Ireland and this is in a safer market than much of Eastern Europe.

Like I say in my opinion the central southern surburbs inside the M60 that will benefit from the Metrolink extension are the best bet for sustained capital growth and safe rental income.

5% looks good compared to Irish rental yields but it is still a poor return compared to the alternatives available to a UK investor. Moreover, currency movements (unless you are hedged) will ultimately neutralise the differential between euro funding and sterling return.

to an investor looking at these properties you need to ask yourself why a 5% (gross I assume) rental yield is an acceptable return from a medium risk asset class in a country where you can get 5% on deposit.

it seems to me that a lot of these properties are being sold to overseas investors because the locals cannot see value in them

JohnBoy said:
5% looks good compared to Irish rental yields but it is still a poor return compared to the alternatives available to a UK investor. Moreover, currency movements (unless you are hedged) will ultimately neutralise the differential between euro funding and sterling return.

to an investor looking at these properties you need to ask yourself why a 5% (gross I assume) rental yield is an acceptable return from a medium risk asset class in a country where you can get 5% on deposit.

it seems to me that a lot of these properties are being sold to overseas investors because the locals cannot see value in them

You would be getting 5% in the city centre and higher in the suburbs plus there is great chance of capital growth in the southern suburbs imo

If you are new buyer in Manchester, the deals are getting better. In recent days, I have seen deals with guaranteed rental income (meaning no voids) for 5 years @ 5.4% net yields (no letting or management charges, service charge or ground rent to pay).

propertyprof said:
You would be getting 5% in the city centre and higher in the suburbs plus there is great chance of capital growth in the southern suburbs imo

capital growth is impossible to predict. the value of any investment ought to be based on the present value of future cash flows - a yields of 5%-6% would not generate adequate net income to make this investment attractive as an income generator. consequently, the greater part of the future value is speculative as it relies on capital gains.

Propman said:
If you are new buyer in Manchester, the deals are getting better. In recent days, I have seen deals with guaranteed rental income (meaning no voids) for 5 years @ 5.4% net yields (no letting or management charges, service charge or ground rent to pay).

5.4% net yield is bloody impressive - this means that the gross yield must almost 9% assuming you are funding this via a € mortgage. are you sure that these figures are correct? if so then there is a lot more value here then I would have thought.

JohnBoy said:
capital growth is impossible to predict. the value of any investment ought to be based on the present value of future cash flows - a yields of 5%-6% would not generate adequate net income to make this investment attractive as an income generator. consequently, the greater part of the future value is speculative as it relies on capital gains.

The anticipation or expectation of capital growth will have an influence on yield as will the high level of young rents which are naturally drawn to the south manchester suburbs

just trying to play Devil's advocate! As you can see from Propman's last post, net yields of 5.4% seem to be available in Manchester (i assume this is after financing). You'd better PM him before all the bargains are snapped up.

JohnBoy said:
5.4% net yield is bloody impressive - this means that the gross yield must almost 9% assuming you are funding this via a € mortgage. are you sure that these figures are correct? if so then there is a lot more value here then I would have thought.
The definition of net yield I am using is:
Example 2 bed apartment:
Purchase price £193k
Guaranted rent: £965 x 12 months = £11,580 minus £1,242 service charge and ground rent = £10,338 / £193,000 = 5.356% net yield.
So my net yield is before financing

JohnBoy said:
JohnBoy, we will just have to agree to disagree that "the value of any investment ought to be based on the present value of future cash flows".

I (like many/majority of other property investors) subscribe to a "growth" strategy rather than an income strategy. I base my decisions on the ability of the rental income to cover my mortgage ie. keeping me cash neutral, and believe that the value of the investment exists in the capital gain.

If I was pursuing an "income" strategy, then I would agree with you that many property investments would compare poorly right now with bonds, high yield shares etc. right now, due to falling rental yields worldwide and rising interest rates.

you are right there is no point in rehashing the Great Property Debate. property price inflation in the UK actually has picked up again this year but if it does not calm down again you ought to expect at least one more rate increase from the BoE.

JohnBoy said:
you are right there is no point in rehashing the Great Property Debate. property price inflation in the UK actually has picked up again this year but if it does not calm down again you ought to expect at least one more rate increase from the BoE.

Most northern English cities are comparable with Dublin in terms of size and amenity however property prices are still much more affordable and with rents stagnant in Dublin northern English cities seem good value.

Management issue, language, legal framework etc all very easy for the average Irish person

properties may be more affordable in the North of England but nationwide UK average house price are still very expensive relative to average incomes.

UK base rates just went up by 0.25% by the way...

north of england wages are far lower than south east. cost of finance is also significantly higher. rates rose today which was a suprise when many buyers were expecting a cut soon. i think there'll be significant price falls in manchester in next year. a capital growth strategy is specualtion plus theres little growth left in uk market . any capital growth has to be eventually underpinned by fundametals, the "capital growth strategy" advocated here seems quite naive.

bearishbull said:
north of england wages are far lower than south east. cost of finance is also significantly higher. rates rose today which was a suprise when many buyers were expecting a cut soon. i think there'll be significant price falls in manchester in next year. a capital growth strategy is specualtion plus theres little growth left in uk market . any capital growth has to be eventually underpinned by fundametals, the "capital growth strategy" advocated here seems quite naive.
Just on the "capital growth strategy" point being quite naive, a capital growth strategy is how 99% of investors in Irish property have made money in Ireland in the last 10 years. They certainly have not made money from an income strategy.

On UK fundamentals, the short term outlook is not as strong as other markets but if you have a long (10+ years) term strategy, then UK property still looks undervalued.

Propman said:
Just on the "capital growth strategy" point being quite naive, a capital growth strategy is how 99% of investors in Irish property have made money in Ireland in the last 10 years. They certainly have not made money from an income strategy.

On UK fundamentals, the short term outlook is not as strong as other markets but if you have a long (10+ years) term strategy, then UK property still looks undervalued.
I didnt say all capital growth stategies were flawed,just ones that are based on near pure speculation, there were many fundamentals like undersupply and economic growth that fuelled the irish boom and made a capital growth stategy viabel and attractive .just because prices have risen dramatically recently doesnt mean speculators will emerge with those paper profits , past performance is no guide to future performance. irish prices still are appreciating fast so why dont you have all your money in there? theres more to a capital growth strategy than riding a speculative wave. Theres tons of properties coming online in northern england where prices have actually fallen in many places during last year, speculating in a market where theres oversupply or close to oversupply rising interest rates and economic uncertainty seems naive.

i live in the UK and I cannot agree that UK property is in any way undervalued. The UK appears to be coming to the end of an unprecedented economic boom that has lasted since the late 1990s. The property market here has already had its boom - only it has yet to correct. The property market here plateaued about 3 years ago and until quite recently property prices were not doing much more than matching inflation. Today's interest rate increase is a reminder that the BoE will not let house prices inflation take off again (admittedly rates went up for a number of reasons).

House prices relative to earnings are still at an all time high; public finances are not in great shape (don't rule out increased taxes); interest rates still have further to rise & the US economy is slowing (a major export destination).

If you can find value then well done but there are not too many parts of the UK that have not been picked over by buy-to-let investors.

When your financing rate is at least 5.5%, an investment with a gross yield of 6% or so would only represent good value if you expected the cash flows from that investment to increase over time - otherwise who will buy it from you?

Back