Motor RENEWAL query help please?

Effie

Last year my car was hit by a hit and run driver whilst stationary outside my house during the night and I notified my insurance company of this but as the culptit owned up, I claimed off his insurance, not mine . I then sent my car for reclamation .

Subsequently my dilemma now is , I moved insurance companies in last few days , but totally forgot to mention to them what happened to me last year . What should I now do?

Help Please as I'm now getting sleepless nights about this?

Hi Effie, Firstly please relax, it's not the end of the world :)

Ring your insurer and explain that you genuinely forgot about the incident, it shouldn't increase your premium as nothing was claimed from your policy.

Bless You!

Thank you ever so much ACA!!

Was sick with worry as I thought it would not only sky rocket my premium given I have a 5 year NCB and as I was tollally not at fault and I was scared that they might cancel my policy or refuse to insure me as I'd not initally declared it. I've heard of such things happening in the past with insurance companies!!!

Effie, although technically this was a non-disclosure, it's pretty unimportant from your insurers point of view, as the claim is pretty irrelevant to your driving or claims history. Just phone them and clear it up, and I would follow it on with a letter and an email.

Quick update, told the insurers and they said no problem on the phone but I asked for written notification that they had been informed by me of the claim to my old car they said sure.
However , and when I opened the letter last night, I found out that they have changed my no claims discount ftom a 5 year 75% discount to a 5 year 50% one.
This was never mentioned to me on the phone. Is there any thing I can do about it?

Effie the % of NCD isn't particularly relevant. Insurers vary on NCD %'s.5yrs NCD can be 50% or 70%, it really makes no fundemental difference. A company could offer 10% NCD after 5 yrs and still be cheaper. It's a bit of a gimmick. What really matters is the number of yrs. Check with them that the claim didn't impact on the NCD and, assuming it didn't, you can forget about it.

Back