Relocating - can I claim welfare?

W

westmover

Hi, I am currently living and working in Meath and looking to move West to Mayo (most probably). However, as you can imagine, I'm finding it very difficult to juggle work and possible interviews on opposite side of the country, particularly when the majority of organisations have a min of two interviews etc. Plus, I don't want to fall into the trap of taking the first job I'm offered to just get over there. So, my question. If I leave my current job and relocate, can I claim social welfare until I get new employment over there??

FYI, I worked in Ireland for a year after college before heading to the US and Oz for 3 years combined, I've been back in Ireland for over 2 1/2 years, and working all that time.

Any comments greatly received, as I am getting so frustrated with my inability to give my all to my job search.

Re: Relocating - can I claim welfare??

Jobseeker's Benefit will be payable to you if you satisfy the conditions, mainly as follows:

1. You left your current employment with "just cause" (Moving to Mayo would seem to be a reasonable reason for giving up work)
2. You are available for work (From what you say, you will be)
3. You are genuinely loooking for work (which you seem to be doing already)

The current rate of benefit for a single person is €185.80 per week so you would want to have your homework done regarding getting suitable, similar-to-your-current employment quickly.

Thank you for the info.

Yes, I already am actively looking for work, and don't plan on being out of work for long, but would use the welfare money to 'cushion' me during the interim period.

Should I look to sign on in Meath or Mayo? If I go this route (claiming before I get a job), I would leave my rented accom and move in with my parents in Meath, but would have somewhere to stay in Mayo aswell. Would either of these affect my claim? As in I wouldn't be paying rent..

Sorry - one more query. How long would I need to wait before benefits would start coming in? Let's say I planned to leave work on Dec 1st, would it be Jan before I saw any payments? Just wondering given the time of year etc.

You have to claim at the address where you reside.....your claim is not affected by rent. If you move to Mayo after claiming in Meath, you will have to transfer your claim to Mayo by calling into the office there.

If you claimed Dec 1st, and your claim is straightforwrad (ie. PRSI record is up to date adn qualifies you...39 paid and 39 paid/credited in 2005), you should get a decision in two weeks. If there is delay, you can attend at your local Community Welfare Office for a temp weeklypayment (Supplementary Welfare Allowance) which is then recouped from any arrears of SW paid later.

Back