Reid Furniture:opinions re price, product quality, delivery, after sales service etc.

Re: Reid Furniture

We have had a bad experience with this store.

We ordered a settee on Jan 6th 2008 and delivery was to be 13 - 14 weeks, however after 15 weeks we rang the store for news. We were told that it may be in their warehouse on May 5th (not our house). This is 17 weeks and it still has to get to us.

It also states on their Agreement which you do not receive until you leave the store that they will invoice you 3 weeks prior to delivery so even if we were invoiced to-day we would be waiting for delivery for 18 weeks. We will not be in the country after 1st May for 2 months so decided that we would have to cancel.

As they also state that they do not store furniture, so we visited the store and a very brusque Manager informed us that should we cancel we would be liable for a 25% cancellation. Now this we could understand had we cancelled prior the 14 weeks as this would have been our decision, but the problem was caused by them. Why should we suffer. Lets all stand together and show this company up for what they are.

Hi
we are recent victims of Reid Furniture in Inverness! We liked the furniture and spent a large sum of money in their shop however waiting time was much longer than expected and customer service has been non existent! The base cloth was hanging off the settee and most of the bedroom furniture was damaged on delivery and they do not want to know! Would avoid them if at all possible!

Bad experience here too. I ordered a sofa off them and was told it would be 8 weeks delivery. The day before the sofa was due to arrive, they rang to say that the sofa I ordered was no longer being made so I would have to call into the store to order a new one. I told them where to go and got my money back.

I wouldn't recommend Reids (Cork) either. I bought a 3+1 from Reids last year, while I was happy with it when it eventually arrived, it was a couple of weeks late. A friend bought a suite from Reids around the same time, which arrived a couple of MONTHS late! I was also put off by the 'cowboy' sales staff - one of whom added the 'gold' insurance package to my order docket without asking me. It took a bit of hassle and having to listen to some 'cock and bull' stories about how great it was before they removed it from the order!

we cancelled our order after 3 failed attempts of delivering the right furniture and 12 weeks late by reids, but it did take will power to deal with there customer service crowd, i eventually had to get some one in edinburigh, yes edinburough!!!!!
As they say, buyer beware

Dino. I bought a suite of furniture from reids last october and still have not received it after being told i would have it in feb and that i might even have it before xmas i got nothing in the way of a phone call or correspondance to let me know what was happening i called them on several occasions and was promised a call back i'm still waiting! I eventually got a delivery date for this thursday from a delivery company in Limerick who told me that that suite was late comming in and that it had just arrived in Belfast so it would not be in limerick before this week i asked if they could not deliver it directly from belfast and it seems they didn't think of that doh! anyway it was down for delivery for yesterday morning and didn"t arrivr i called the shop and asked why they told me it was because there was a balance owing again they had not bothered to call me about the balance owing just cancelled delivery i tried to call them monday and yesterday on monday i gave up because noone answered the phone and yesterday it took 5 times the girl on the phone was very abrupt and her customer service skills were non existant she asked me what i wanted her to do about it i said an apology would suffice for the delay and inconvenience she refused to apoligise saying it wasn't her fault or reids fault getting the suite tomorrow hopefully NEVER AGAIN

I bought a suite from Reids Galway last year. I knew about their dodgy dealings before I walked into the store but my wife spotted a suite that met our requirements.

We then tried about as dozen other shops before returning to Reids to buy from them. To cut a loooooooooonng story short, they told us 4 months but it took 7 months. To be fair, the quallity of the goods is exellent but I was really peeved that they took so long.

If anyone is thinking of buying from reids take my advice and DONT. I bought and paid for a itialian leather couch 3+2 in Jan of 08 and was told 12 weeks waiting. I was 5 and a half months waiting for the couch which they delivered to my house at 5am in the morning. When the couch was unpacked I could clearly see that it was not the same leather that was on the couch they had on display in their showrooms. The leather I got was of the cheapest quality and was very loose so it's wrinkling around the cushions and around the arms. instead of coming from italy as I was told, it actually came from China according to all the documents on the couch and on the shipping documents. The leather on the couch is certainly NOT itialian and the finish of the couch is so poor I don't think I can even sell it on. I wouldn't mind if it was a cheap couch but at nearly 2.5k I expected what I paid for. I have made several complaints to reids and have been told that it's up to their customer service department in belfast to decide if i'm entitled to a refund or replacement but it's unlikely.

I would NEVER buy from reids again. The quality of the leather and the workmanship is the worst i've ever seen. I would have got a better quality couch it i'd have gone to bargaintown.

Bought a leather sofa from them about 5 years ago. Was £1800 stg in Derry, got it for £800 (i think) in sale. When they delivered (i don't remember if it was late but it was free and I lived 20+ miles away) the delivery guy checked it for damage before he asked me to sign. He pointed out a 1"-2" scrape on the back. I told him not to worry, but he insisted on reporting it. I chose to keep the sofa instead of return and refund. A guy came out about a week later and did a C.S.I. on it with all sorts of potions and photos etc. I got a cheque for £100 and a £120 voucher for Reids! Result! Standards have slipped in prosperous times I guess.

Just thought i'd provide a different experience. I've no agenda either.

My leather suite from Reids is now just over a year old.

It is Violino - italian leather - made in Hong Kong. A lot of the leather suites do appear to be made in the Far East.

The quality is excellent - it cost €2,000 for 2 seater and 3 seater and looks way more expensive.

After 1 year, not that much use, but looks brand new

spent 2.5k on a corner unit & 2 chairs in March 2008 with a 14 -16 week delivery schedule. They have just rang me to tell me that it won't be in Ireland until Sept. I paid 250.00 deposit & asked for it back - they refused - am I entitled to a refund of my deposit as I need a suite now - we gave away our old one last week. By the way their customer service in Galway is apalling - the store manager (M*ry) won't even speak to me!

with all the really bad posts here it's a surprise that anyone who reads aam would buy from them Why do people buy from Reid Furniture?

Someone advised me many years ago when signing for delivery of goods to add with your signature "not examined". Don't know if this carries any weight if a dispute arises re the condition of goods on arrival

I'm also having a problem with Reids (Galway) not only was the couch the wrong way round (corner "L" unit) it was also damaged, I rang the store every second day for 4 weeks and still no responce. waiting for an email from some guy! Nice lady but obvusly has no real say. They tried to convince me that I ordered it that way but I couldnt have caue it wont physically fit in the room the way it is, so its in 2 pieces in the hall where everybody has to climb over it all day. I spoke to the citizens info and they told me how to formally complain and what my right are. Also about the small claims court, very useful info. I'm just sorry I didnt take advise here before hand. They have some nice stuff but its really not worth the bother. Be Ware

will keep you posted on the service in galway. i'm am going to give them the benefit of a very big doubt & wait until 1st week in Sept - eventhough i am tempted to forfeit the 250 deposit (which i think is unfair, on their part, considering they are not honouring their part of the agreement) & buy a similar suite in the July/summer sales???

spent 2.5k on a corner unit & 2 chairs in March 2008 with a 14 -16 week delivery schedule. They have just rang me to tell me that it won't be in Ireland until Sept. I paid 250.00 deposit & asked for it back - they refused - am I entitled to a refund of my deposit as I need a suite now - we gave away our old one last week. By the way their customer service in Galway is apalling - the store manager (M*ry) won't even speak to me!

yes you are entitled to a refund, i ordered a 3 and 2 about 2 months ago i was told it would take 10 weeks and it came in 8 weeks and the store manager is male and a very good one at that

yes you are entitled to a refund, i ordered a 3 and 2 about 2 months ago i was told it would take 10 weeks and it came in 8 weeks and the store manager is male and a very good one at that

Thats not what 2 seperate staff in Reids in Galway have said to me. they insisted that i was not entitled to a refund on my 250 euro deposit and referred me to the form i had signed when i purchased to suite.
how do you know i am entitled to a refund please?

by the way I purchased a suite for a sun room off Reids (Galway) in 2006 (cosy me over 3k) and found them easy to deal with. The problem with Reids appears to be when something goes wrong, especially with the Galway store!!! This is what is known as poor customer service - the customer(sorry repeat customer) is always right??

Grace Ex Reid Furniture rang me last Saturday...my suite will not be arriving in Ireland until end of September. Pathetic retailers. I read today that furniture sales in Ireland were down 18% last month, back to 1987 levels - does not look good for the like of Reids who have terrible customer service. I won't be dealing with them again after this - I need to buy a new kitchen, table & 8 chairs! Will keep you posted....

Forgot to mention that they repeated that I am not entitled to my deposit back if I decide to go elsewhere.

Back