Regarding some kind of Security grille inside house windows which I have seen

bullworth

I have seen some small houses in the city centre and some ground floor apartments have a kind of security ''fence'' on the inside of their windows.

Most of them seem to open and close ''accordion like'' laterally along the direction of the surface of the glass on the inside and function to stop entry if a window is forced open or glass broken. They seem to contain a locking mechanism also.

Can anyone explain to me

1) What name to refer to them as ?
2) Where one might obtain one ?
3) How much they tend to cost ?

there was a company in Cherry Orchard Ind est called Securiscreen doing something like that.
sorry i dont know the number

Surely they are a health and safety fire risk? Bad enough trying to get out of a fire without having to possibly struggle with one of those grilles?

Surely they are a health and safety fire risk? Bad enough trying to get out of a fire without having to possibly struggle with one of those grilles?

Is it not legal to have bars on your windows Sue Ellen ? I see them on the outside of many houses.

However I think it is right to worry about such things. A toddler in the house makes me worry even more about a fixed grill. However In my case I have been considering some kind of removable/lockable screen which could be attached or securely locked only when I go away on holidays for example.

Back