Refused letter of tax residence as they have no record of my paying taxes. What do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand why you don't try what I suggested several times - file a myAccount "Form 12" return with details of your deposit interest income.
Well, perhaps laughably, because I can't locate "Form 12" on myAccount?

I'm unsure if it's not appearing as I'm not a registered tax resident?

Screenshot 2023-10-02 103656.png

Screenshot 2023-10-02 103708.png

Screenshot 2023-10-02 103719.png

Where it be?? :confused:

Well, perhaps laughably, because I can't locate "Form 12" on myAccount?

I'm unsure if it's not appearing as I'm not a registered tax resident?

View attachment 7980

View attachment 7981

View attachment 7982

Where it be?? :confused:
"Manage your tax 2023" or "Review your tax 2019-2022".

"Manage your tax 2023" or "Review your tax 2019-2022".
In my case, for "review your tax 2019-2022":

Screenshot 2023-10-02 125514.png

Manage tax for 2023 basically says:

Screenshot 2023-10-02 125750.png

No "jobs or pensions".
No "receipts".
I do have tax credits oddly.
No "additional income on record".

And no option to file a tax return or listing of historical taxes paid.

Hoping not to sound nosey but do you think is there a whole lot of money involved in all of this procedure? (4 AAM pages later)

Pitance.

But, aren't we obliged to file it none the less?

Given the fact that revenue seem absolutely determined to exclude me from tax registration, what's the inference here?

Just open your Raisin account and don't sweat it about filing a tax return on the miniscule amount of DIRT you'll pay?

I can't see a Form 12 either on the myaccount, "manage your tax" seems an attempt to simplify the form 12.

If I go to manage your tax, declare income, my choices are

Canadian/US/UK dividends, pension not subject to paye, foreign pensions, irish taxed income, rental, dividends and distributions (Irish companies), fees and commissions, foreign salary, maintenance payments, trading profits, untaxed income arising in state.

I didn't see anywhere on "manage your tax" a place to specifically declare Irish deposit interest let alone foreign deposit interest. Anyone see it?

I'll go back at some point to the other Revenue mess that is ROS.ie and see if I can do a Form 12 online there.

I can't see a Form 12 either on the myaccount, "manage your tax" seems an attempt to simplify the form 12.
The myAccount "manage your tax" is basically the modern version of a "Form 12" PAYE tax return - as reflected by the URL address name (see below).
I didn't see anywhere on "manage your tax" a place to specifically declare Irish deposit interest let alone foreign deposit interest. Anyone see it?
Yes, under "Other Income".

Screenshot_20231002-131648.png

Screenshot_20231002-132016.png

I already posted this info earlier in the thread.

Just on the point of the form 12 tax return; on Revenues Myaccount, Review your Tax 2019 to 2022 is where you file a tax return as a PAYE, non chargeable individual. It's not called a form 12 but that's what it is. Manage your tax 2023, is not filing a tax return at all. It's for adding additional tax credits/reliefs and/or declaring additional income related to the active tax year if you want. You should still follow up with a tax return after end of the tax year.

If you have no PAYE income whatsoever in a year, but have some non PAYE Income, I'd imagine your only recourse is to file a manual form 12 for whatever year or register for self assessment and file a form 11 tax return via ROS.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/end-of-year-process/income-tax-return.aspx

https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/form12.pdf

The myAccount "manage your tax" is basically the modern version of a "Form 12" PAYE tax return - as reflected by the URL address name (see below).

Yes, under "Other Income".

View attachment 7986
View attachment 7987

I already posted this info earlier in the thread.

These screen shots seem to be taken from ros.ie, which does not exist inside "myaccount".

This seems to be some kind of alternate login to ros.ie, but it seems very complicated and I'm unsure of eligibility for it.

1696419899278.png

In "myaccount" for manage 2023 tax, this is the list of potential incomes one can declare;

DIRT is not listed here as it is in your pictures.

Just on the point of the form 12 tax return; on Revenues Myaccount, Review your Tax 2019 to 2022 is where you file a tax return as a PAYE, non chargeable individual. It's not called a form 12 but that's what it is. Manage your tax 2023, is not filing a tax return at all. It's for adding additional tax credits/reliefs and/or declaring additional income related to the active tax year if you want. You should still follow up with a tax return after end of the tax year.

If you have no PAYE income whatsoever in a year, but have some non PAYE Income, I'd imagine your only recourse is to file a manual form 12 for whatever year or register for self assessment and file a form 11 tax return via ROS.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/end-of-year-process/income-tax-return.aspx

https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/form12.pdf

In my case, not being registered as a tax resident, I believe precludes registering for self-assessment.

In others words, as badly as I want to pay this nominal amount of DIRT on a measly amount of savings, revenue are just not prepared to facilitate it.

These screen shots seem to be taken from ros.ie, which does not exist inside "myaccount".

This seems to be some kind of alternate login to ros.ie, but it seems very complicated and I'm unsure of eligibility for it.

View attachment 7992

In "myaccount" for manage 2023 tax, this is the list of potential incomes one can declare;

That matches what I see - I don't know my way around the myaccount site - only signed up recently.

In my case I've been doing the Form 11 (via ros.ie) for years - so maybe they affects the options they show on "my" myaccount - though it's odd they'd have dividends but not deposit interest.

That matches what I see - I don't know my way around the myaccount site - only signed up recently.

In my case I've been doing the Form 11 (via ros.ie) for years - so maybe they affects the options they show on "my" myaccount - though it's odd they'd have dividends but not deposit interest.
Not really, dividends are subject to income tax and as such the withholding tax may be refunded or further tax may be due if liable at the higher rate.

View attachment 7992

I don't have myaccount but can you look under "Irish taxed income" and if it's not there try "Untaxed income arising in the State"?

Edit: Just saw that @ClubMan has even put screenshots of where to find the correct place

Last edited:
They're not. They're from myAccount as I clearly stated. myAccount uses a ros.ie URL but it's not ROS.

I don't know why my view seems to be different to others' - this time on desktop rather than mobile:

2023-10-04 14 33 53.png

Last edited:
You will never get something from Irish Revenue telling you you're Irish tax resident - you might get a statement stating that for the purposes of the Latvian-Irish tax treaty you are considered to be Irish tax resident ... but that's it. Look to the treaty for the definition, and then look to Irish domestic legislation. Then prove it to the Irish tax authorities for the benefits of the treaty.

Even if no tax is paid here, there can be benefits for non-Irish tax residents under older treaties, but modern ones now state that tax has to be paid in the overseas jurisdiction (in this case, Ireland) to benefit elsewhere.

I don't have myaccount but can you look under "Irish taxed income" and if it's not there try "Untaxed income arising in the State"?

Edit: Just saw that @ClubMan has even put screenshots of where to find the correct place

He's getting a range of different options to what I'm seeing on myAccount.

Perhaps that's because he's a registered tax resident and I am not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back