Redundant and on Job Seekers Allce: TV Licence or Mortgage help?

kceire

my sister was made redundant last october.
she received the stat. redundancy from her employer but 5k only lasts so long.

she is currently on job seekers benefit and is in need of a TV licence.
can she claim any sort of discount on it or some similar benefit?

she also has a mortgage but its a joint mortgage with another fella/BF.
can she claim any sort of assistance for her half of the mortgage?

thanks.

Re: TV Licence

my sister was made redundant last october.
She should request a P21 balancing statement from Revenue if she did not already claim tax back while unemployed.
she is currently on job seekers benefit and is in need of a TV licence.
can she claim any sort of discount on it or some similar benefit?
No. If she can't afford it then she should consider getting rid of the TV(s).
she also has a mortgage but its a joint mortgage with another fella/BF.
can she claim any sort of assistance for her half of the mortgage?
Maybe:

Mortgage Interest Supplement
Supplementary Welfare Schemes

kceire - i doubt she would be entitled to anything towards tv licence.. i am currently on job seekers too, am my tv licence is due for renewal, I have 80 euro saved in the tv licence stamps - so just have to put the rest towards it. to be honest i wouldnt even consider asking SW for anymore help, as i am ever so grateful to be getting the money off them as it is.. husband works fulltime, we have a big enough mortgage.. struggling like everyone else.. but if i couldnt afford the tv i wouldnt have it.. i doubt she will get help with her tv licence.. but who knows?!

thanks guys, just considering her options as every little helps at the moment.

can her other half not pay for it? i pay ur tv licence by direct debit o 13.33 a month

Sandra, any chance you'd pay 13.33 towards my bills every month? You sound like a very giving person :p

oh i'm not always breastfeeding when on AAM, i just remember I was when I was typing about tv licences!

What bizarre advice, if she can't afford the TV, get rid of it. That's a great way to deal with unemployment, get rid of the one thing that will stop you crawling the walls when you're not hitting the streets looking for work...

What bizarre advice, if she can't afford the TV, get rid of it. That's a great way to deal with unemployment, get rid of the one thing that will stop you crawling the walls when you're not hitting the streets looking for work...
How is it bizarre advice? If somebody cannot afford a TV license then the obvious solution is to get rid of the TV. Personally I find that keeping the TV switched OFF most of the time keeps me sane. But I much prefer radio anyway.

Back