Redundancy Period - Early Finish?

Mr. D

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. Was hoping for some advice.

My current employer informed me that i would be made redundant in March. They gave me a finish date at the end of June and said in the letter that they would be entering into a consultancy period etc. There are no roles in the current company and to be honest i didn't expect there to be. I've been looking outside the company for a new job and got good news.

My redundancy package includes a stay on bonus which was contingent on me staying until the end date specified on the letter of redundancy. I have been offered a new role but they want me immediately and to be honest staying in the current job would rule me out of the new opportunity.

Has anyone been in a situation like this before? My concern is that the current employer can turn around and tell me that if i want to leave before the end date they i can but i loose the entire redundancy payment and not just the stay on bonus.

I'm happy to loose the stay on bonus as the new job sounds excellent and the money is actually nearly a 60% increase on my current salary. I'm a little concerned that the entire package will be lost as there is a line in the letter saying 'If we fail to identify any suitable alternatives position by <<end date>> we regret to notify you that your redundancy will be effective from that date'.

Thoughts/advice very welcome.

No real advice sorry but do you have annual leave accruing that you could use to bring you closer to your end date?

No real advice sorry but do you have annual leave accruing that you could use to bring you closer to your end date?

Not to the point that would bring my finish date up to an acceptable start date with the new company. There is about a 4 week difference I'm afraid.

Have you spoken to your employer? I would suggest that you do any handover documents you might need to do and then meet and say there are no alternative roles in the company which are applicable to you and you would like to waive the rest of the consultation process and move forward with the redundancy. You would also, where possible, like to leave as soon as possible. See what they say. I have had the same situation in work. One guy was told he could leave tomorrow, I unfortunately had to say an extra four weeks which I am finding soul destroying...play that card, mentally it's demanding when you know you're leaving not of your own accord...

Back