Recruiting

joer

If there are anyone free on Wednesday I am looking for eleven people to play a match , and represent your country because after what was witnessed earlier today I think 'My Team' will put up a decent performance..
Anyone free.......I will tell Stephen !!!!!!!

I'll volunteer. I was a utility payer back in the day. As Hon Treas I signed the cheques for the utilities!

You need a lucky general... look at Wales, Ukraine were robbed of a penalty, Wales fluked an OG to score and the Welsh keeper had the game of his life.

Hard to know what to expect tonight from Ukraine, after the deflation of the playoff loss in normal circumstances I wouldn't be expecting them to put in a performance in a Nations League game ... but these are not normal times.

And Ireland were anything but normal against Armenia . So it's hard to know what to expect from either team tonight. We can only hope ....

So Ukraine's second team put in a performance too much for Ireland... null points and bottom of the table. Need to get a win against Scotland on Saturday.

Boring and stressful. That's what watching us "play" football is.
It's the worst brand of football I ever saw . I don't think that any other manager would do any better though. We just do not have quality players.

It's the worst brand of football I ever saw . I don't think that any other manager would do any better though. We just do not have quality players.

Not sure. I think there are enough players to make a decent team and I think Kenny is trying to do the right things. What we are missing is that one player who makes a real difference. I am not sure the Country ever fully appreciated having a striker of the quality of Robbie Keane. He never got the respect he deserved. We just don't have that striker or midfielder who is world class and it makes such a difference when you playing teams of the same or less quality.

Great to see the U21's do well though. They were neglected for a long period of time but it is good to see a crop of young players doing well and hopefully qualifying for a major tournament.

Essentially we stopped playing good football when Jack Charlton took over when his pragmatic approach and tactical nous qualified us for a European Championship and 2 World Cups , hugely exciting times but we weren't pretty to watch with the exception of a couple of games when the players forgot themselves .
Trap and Martin O'Neill qualified us with similar approaches , again there was an exception under Mick McCartney in qualifying us for WC 2002 when we were good to watch.
Given the level of player we have at the moment we are singularly unsuited to getting the ball down and playing through international teams - do we go back to the long ball game or await better players to come through ?
Not an easy time for the manager

At least the U21s are doing well and that must be a positive going forward.

Essentially we stopped playing good football when Jack Charlton took over when his pragmatic approach and tactical nous qualified us for a European Championship and 2 World Cups , hugely exciting times but we weren't pretty to watch with the exception of a couple of games when the players forgot themselves .
Trap and Martin O'Neill qualified us with similar approaches , again there was an exception under Mick McCartney in qualifying us for WC 2002 when we were good to watch.
Given the level of player we have at the moment we are singularly unsuited to getting the ball down and playing through international teams - do we go back to the long ball game or await better players to come through ?
Not an easy time for the manager
If I had a choice right now I would rather results above performance.

If I had a choice right now I would rather results above performance.
With you there but unfortunately I don't think we have the players to play either system.
Hopefully players will come through from LOI academies and foreign based players and our diaspora but I think my memories of 3 Euros and 3 World Cups will have to sustain me for some time.

That is the problem right now ...we just don't have the players. Jack was lucky to have the squad that he had at that time. All household names...and mostly premier league players.

That is the problem right now ...we just don't have the players. Jack was lucky to have the squad that he had at that time. All household names...and mostly premier league players.
Yep. I think even Jack's second 11 would be better than the current first 11.

Pity we can't play Scotland every week! Actually scoring some lovely goals...
A better team than Scotland would have punished us for some sloppy play at the back though.

After far too long, our first Nations League win.

Last edited:
Pity we can't play Scotland every week! Actually scoring some lovely goals...
A better team than Scotland would have punished us for some sloppy play at the back though.

After far too long, our first Nations League win.
This is the performance we were all expecting in the other two games. Perhaps there is hope for this team ......We can only wait and see...

Some interesting stats via the BBC...

• Republic of Ireland have won their first ever game in the Nations League at the 13th attempt of trying (W1 D5 L7), scoring more goals (3) than they managed in their first 12 matches in the competition combined (2).
  • Scotland suffered just their second away defeat to Republic of Ireland (P7 W2 D3 L2) and first since June 1963 (1-0).
  • This was Republic of Ireland's biggest competitive win on home soil since October 2014, when they beat Gibraltar 7-0 in a European Championship qualifier.
  • Republic of Ireland had two players aged 21 or under (Michael Obafemi & Troy Parrott) score in a competitive game for the first time since September 1997 (David Connolly & Mark Kennedy vs Iceland).
  • Parrott (20y 127d) became the youngest player to score a competitive goal for Republic of Ireland since Stephen Ireland in October 2006 (20y 46d vs Cyprus in a European Championship qualifier).

Lovely goal from Ireland again via unexpected source (Nathan Collins) but defence exposed for equaliser...

Scotland thumped Armenia 4-1 in other group game.

Back