recommend an index tracker?

tomreillly

Absolutely not. All this research suggests is that you are better putting your money in an index tracker than in an actively managed fund.

It says nothing about whether you are better putting your money into cash or the stockmarket.

Brendan

Can anyone recommend a suitable index tracker for a novice investor in their 20s who would be willing to invest €200 per month in the stock market?

Thanks.

Re: 80% of Irish Funds underperform the ISEQ

Can anyone recommend a suitable index tracker for a novice investor in their 20s who would be willing to invest €200 per month in the stock market?

Thanks.
Tom

can you give more details, are you saving for a house? or is this money that you have spare. what is your attitude to risk?

The most tax effiicient way of investing in the stock market is through your pension but you wont see the returns for a while.

I would suggest having a look at quinnlife or rabo directs funds, as they are index trackers and are easily accessible and accept monthly contributions. If you dont like the fees they charge, you could look at ETF's but you should learn about the markets or the sectors you want to invest into.

There is an abundance of information on this site but you should have a look at whats there to suit your needs. As you probably know the markets are well down and if it a difficult time to judge what to do. People are waiting to see what happens, it could be a very good time to invest in funds as you are buying the units cheap but then again there could be another slump if the US sub prime issue rears its ugly head again...only time will tell. In the long term, I am sure the ISEQ ETF offers good value but in saying that, I havent lumped any of my hard earned cash into anything only deposit accounts since Sept

Bsloe, many thanks for your advice.

In response to your queries, €200 per month is spare money after monthly savings for house deposit, living expenses incurred, etc. I can bear good deal of risk with €200 p/m savings as I'm thinking of 20+ year investment timeframe.

I see no need in having a pension at the minute as my salary is being taxed at 20% standard rate. I think one would need to be at 41% rate to get maximum effect of pension contributions.

Re: 80% of Irish Funds underperform the ISEQ

I would suggest having a look at quinnlife or rabo directs funds, as they are index trackers and are easily accessible and accept monthly contributions.

Please note that the managed funds offered on the RaboDirect.ie platform are not index trackers. They are actively managed funds.

RaboDirect

Back