Recently back to work and question on Tax Band

lfcfan

Hi. I recently got back to work after 18 months off. My wife obviously got my credits and a big chunk of my Tax band. According to my ROS online account, I should have around €28K for my tax band cutoff. What way does this work? Am I entitled to all of this against what I earn for the rest of the year? In my latest payslip I was only allocated 10% of this band. I would have thought that since I didn't earn anything until last month, I would be able to use all of it against the remaining months of the year? Thanks!

If your employer didn't get your tax code in time, he will have put you on emergency tax which would explain the 10%. And yes, you will be able to use it all against this year's earnings

This is my second pay with my new company and they did receive my tax details last month. Saying that though, I only worked a portion of last month so my gross pay was below the band anyway but I would have thought that because my company had dealt with the tax office, they would have gotten all the details they needed to give me my full entitlement?

Do you have a copy of the tax credit cert that was issued?
One would issue to you and a copy goes to the employer.

Check the top of the cert to see if it says the cert is cumulative (it should say something to the effect that the cert is from 1st January 2010). If it says differently then the cert might be on a "Week 1 basis" and you arent getting the benefit of your unused tax credits to date. Might explain the low rateband you are getting.

The payslip does mention Week 1 alright. If it is a case that they have me on this, can I get it sorted so my last 2 pays use my full band and also get a refund for this months extra tax? Thanks for the info!

sorted. Was on month 1/week 1 basis. On cumulative now and will be refunded!! Cheers for the info lads.

Back