Receipts for expenses claimed against tax on rental property

mask

Hi all.
I have an old house which I have let out to two people on Rent allowance.
The property is approx 90 miles away so I go there once a month to check the house and do a bit of maintenance etc.
The questions I have are 1 . can I claim travel expenses to go to check the property.
2. I have payed a certain amount of cash to a student for cutting grass and hedges etc . I dont have a receipt . Is this claimable .
I had two chimneys swept and again I have no receipt .

There are some incidental expenses eg light bulbs and keys to mention two.
Is there an accepted amount that can be claimed for these without receipts

Thanks in advance and I hope someone has info on these

You should keep all receipts for all expenses and jobs done . You dont have to send them in but id they audit you you need to produce them

You dont need receipts to claim expenses. Though you should get them whenever you can.
Revenue will be reasonable with you, but if they think you are pulling the p1ss, then receipts would show them you arent.

Hi folks.
Thanks for those responses . I am in the position where I have some receipts and not others for various reasonS EG. The tenant paid for chimney sweeping and I repaid him having agreed a price over the phone with the sweep.
Does anyone have anything definite on the expenses incurred in travelling to the premises. It is a necessary expense but is it allowable?

Thanks

I dont think travelling to the premises is allowable, a friend got picked up on that one in a Revenue audit.

Hi folks.
Thanks for those responses . I am in the position where I have some receipts and not others for various reasonS EG. The tenant paid for chimney sweeping and I repaid him having agreed a price over the phone with the sweep.
Does anyone have anything definite on the expenses incurred in travelling to the premises. It is a necessary expense but is it allowable?

Thanks

This thread is a good discussion of the issue of travel expenses:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=18476

Back