Reasons for cancelling credit card transaction

gotsomenow

Hello,

Can anyone tell me a valid reason for cancelling a credit card transaction, other than a transaction you do not recognise. No signature, no Chip and Pin. I paid for an item abroad over the phone (for a family member - medical) and the hospital abroad never mentioned extra charges, but now they are presenting us with a massive bill for 'extras' that was never discussed at the time, nor was the patient informed that they would be charged extra?

Help!

Are you saying that the hospital has charged these additional items to your CC? If they did this without authorisation then contact your CC company and query the transaction. If necessary they may do a chargeback to find the authorisation or lack of for the transaction. This is presumably a separate issue from any legitimate liability you may have to the hospital in question.

I have hotels and car rental companies coming back weeks after I made a purchase from them to take a second bite out of my credit card. The card companies' response appears to be "tough". You can enter a dispute process (the chargeback mentioned by Clubman) in which the card company will ask the payee why they took this extra money from your card. It takes ages, and in the interim the presumption is that the person who snaffled the extra money from your card without your consent is entitled to keep it. I had this problem (twice) with Hertz double charging me for car hire. It took months to sort out and I had to pay the double bill in the meantine.

Grrrrrrrr

No they haven't charged the second payment, although I am really nervous about them doing this. They have just sent on a bill for the extra amount. They seem to be the biggest shower of con artists. I suppose I will just have to allow the first payment and hope they don't charge a second.

The card companies' response appears to be "tough". You can enter a dispute process (the chargeback mentioned by Clubman) in which the card company will ask the payee why they took this extra money from your card. It takes ages, and in the interim the presumption is that the person who snaffled the extra money from your card without your consent is entitled to keep it.
A few years back my PTSB VISA CC was hit by unauthorised transactions and I had to cancel it and initiate a chargeback dispute against them but it only took a few weeks before the money was returned to me.

Back