Re-Turn Plastic Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony of using non-recyclable thermal paper for the the recycling receipts!! Oney in Urlan Joe, oney in Urlan!!

Shame they didn't close the loop with the retailers by using the stores' loyalty cards or the more up-to-date phone apps. As many consumers now use their phones to pay at the till, why not send the credits back to their bank accounts?

The machines I've seen won't take back the rectangular 5 ltr containers, which must be processed manually. Half-assed as usual in this country, yet another semi-solution.
It was a sop to the retailers, if it went to the bank account, you could spend it anywhere.
You have to spend the voucher in the store the RVM is attached to.
All the rent seekers must get their cut.

I thought there was no deposit on a 5l though?

This is the main reason why all this plastic stuff MUST be taken out of circulation- and the system which is currently introduced helps at least a wee bit. Alas I think it is already too late:

The micro plastics aren't just coming from drinks bottles though. This scheme is not taking all plastic stuff out of circulation, so I think it is a huge stretch to try to justify it on that score.

As far as I know there is no deposit on 5 litre containers- so there is no manual handling there.
Is this because they are not made from recyclable material or is it a volumetric issue in the machines? It seems odd that the containers with the most plastic in them are excluded, other than from household recycling, if they are suitable.

Is this because they are not made from recyclable material or is it a volumetric issue in the machines? It seems odd that the containers with the most plastic in them are excluded, other than from household recycling, if they are suitable.
I wonder is it because the 5L don't tend to be littered around

The print lasts many months- and I cannot see dozens and dozens of vouchers piling up in people's wallets. They are spent in no time.
Heat, like that from a hip-pocket wallet or the warm air flow from a car heater or a radiator at home or work will render the receipts blank in days.

The micro plastics aren't just coming from drinks bottles though. This scheme is not taking all plastic stuff out of circulation, so I think it is a huge stretch to try to justify it on that score.
Any bit helps. But as I said- I think it is already too late. It won't be a nuclear war or global warming which ends human life on this planet. Plastic will do the trick for sure.

Seems to be looking for an issue where there isn't one...
I have raised several issues with the scheme as implemented, suggesting my own sensible solutions to some of them. The volume of stuff I will now need to store at home was one of the first. Not just the need to store the stuff, but to store it so it remains in pristine condition, no dents, no creases, no scrapes or scratches. I'd see myself making trips to dispose of the stuff between shopping trips, thus accumulating bits of non-recyclable paper in my wallet.

My other sensible solution here is to stop buying the stuff that needs such care and attention.

Again this is another solution in search of a problem ! It's not well thought through, a bit daft and if anything will cause more enviromental damage due to unecessary trips to drop off locations. Sometimes I wonder why common sense seems to be an attribute that most of our politicians lack ? I for one will be waiting in the long grass for the Greens come the next election !

Last edited:
Again this is another solution in search of a problem ! It's not well thought through, a bit daft and if anything will cause more enviromental damage due to unecessary trips to drop off locations. Sometimes I wonder why common sense seems to be an attribute that most of our politicians lack ?
Too much micro plastic in the brain seems to be the cause of this:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back