Re New Build

C

crazychester

Hi all!
Just looking for some info on building a new house. First time builders so all info would be greatly appreciated!
We have kinda set oir sites on timberframe because of airtightness and heat retention, are we right??:confused: we are getting quoted 47k for timberframe and erection on 1800sqft house, is this cheap??:confused: Any one with any advice/info on heating systems and energy efficiency? Sorry about the questions but ive been hearing so much info lately on what we should be doing by people who are not in the trade!:mad:

first time builder myself so no expert!!!!!!

Im going timber frame 3000 sq ft my quotes are more 37k so yours seems expensive. really worth while shopping around huge difference in prices.
we are going with oil in a well insulated and air tight shell in the hope we wont need to heat all that much. also a stove in the kitchen and a heat recovery system

47k is way over, check whats in the quote thou, felt battens etc.

look at block as well thou, to be honest timerframe looks dearer now,

heatrecovery, oil and stoves are our choice, no undefloor

Thanks! Cowboy could u pm me details on your contracter? Who would be a good timber frame company? did you get plans drawn up or (like us!) going with the contracters designs? Sorry about the mish mash of questions but my heads melted!!!:eek:

crazychester

for a draught free build and heat retention ICF is the way to go, not timberframe.

crazychester

ICF (insulated concrete formwork) and is blocks of polystyrene put together with concrete poured between the blocks.

abdjc
So how much would icf cost for a 1800sqft two storey house? (Ballpark)
Who would be a supplier?
Thanks a mill by the way, really helpfull!:)

Hi Crazychester,

As building a house is such a big task you really need to use the search function in this forum and search the previous threads on some of the subjects mentioned above.

Crazychester,
you can't necessarily compare your price to someone else's price. The cost could vary significantly between two house designs based on same sqr footage but different design complexities.

What you need to do is get multiple quotes and there are plenty of TF companies around now to do this and make sure they all have the same inclusions (insulation, doors etc) to compare across their specs.

AndyH

Thanks for that the link is good too but does not go into any specs for timberframe.

We're just about to order our timber frame and for a 220msq (about 2368sqf) house, we getting around the €34k mark (kit, erect, felt & batten, etc)
Haven't 100% decided on the company but we should have by Monday (last chance for one company to come back with something better)

Thanks a mill Eire1977! Could you pm me some details on your company?
And did you get plans from them or did they design off of your plans?
Thanks!

Hi Crazychester

approx cost to build 1800 2 storey house would be 45k - 50k to roof level

Seems very expensive?
Think we have decided on timberframe though.... We just cant find plans from the companies that we like!

Back