question about rent relief

eco

There was an article in the paper(the mirror i think) last week encourging people to claim rent relief, so i went to citizens advice and got the forms, my landlord has filled out his part(we have been tenants of his since 2006) and sent them offf

A friend of mine has now told me ill get no money because they dont give you the money back they just apply them to your tax credits

Is this true?

If so i dont understand why the article was put out there- and the woman in the citizens advice told me id get money so i dont know what to think

They are both correct.

If, on producing a balancing statement for prior tax-years you are due a refund, Revenue will send you a cheque. They will increase your tax-credits for the current tax year.

has anyone here recently applied for this? could you tell me what response you recieved and weather or not you got a cheque? I know i sound greedy but the money would come in v handy

Hi

Applied to revenue 5 weeks ago for rent relief for the last 4 years.

Pay check last week was 100e bigger than usual, I presumed this was the rent relief kicking in for 2009. A few days ago I also received a new notification of tax credits with the rent relief included on it. Dont know whats happening yet with the other 4 years but will post if I receive anything. Am half expecting some type of rebate.

Hi eco,

I recently applied for rent relief for 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008.

Revenue sent me a PAYE balancing statement for each year, which stated that a tax rebate was due, equivalent to the rent relief amount. As I had included my bank a/c details on the Rent1 form, the rebates were paid into my account by electronic transfer.

I didn't apply for 2009 rent relief. If I had, Revenue would have incorporated the relief into my tax credits as I am currently employed. If I was unemployed, they would have paid it in the same manner as the previous years.

Hi eco,

I recently applied for rent relief for 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008.

Revenue sent me a PAYE balancing statement for each year, which stated that a tax rebate was due, equivalent to the rent relief amount. As I had included my bank a/c details on the Rent1 form, the rebates were paid into my account by electronic transfer.

I didn't apply for 2009 rent relief. If I had, Revenue would have incorporated the relief into my tax credits as I am currently employed. If I was unemployed, they would have paid it in the same manner as the previous years.

I have done the same we are with the same landlord since 2006 , i dont know weather or not we get a letter or what- my friend said a girl she knows and her partner applied and were told they wernt entitled to anything (they were only renting a year) so im a bit worried about that

can anyone tell me how long they were waiting before they heard back regarding this??

I applied at the end of March for rent relief for someone, going back to 2006 . Refund received recently.

I applied 3 weeks ago for rent relief for the years 2007 and 2008. Received a statement a week later saying a chq for just over 400 would be on its way for the tax year 2008. Sure enough got the cheque the next day. Also received a letter on the same day saying i'd be getting tax credits for 2009.

Still no word about my rent relief for 2007 though. Maybe that takes longer for them to work out?? Or maybe its because i put the two forms (for 2008 & 2007) in same envelope?? Do i have to send them separately?

I applied 3 weeks ago for rent relief for the years 2007 and 2008. Received a statement a week later saying a chq for just over 400 would be on its way for the tax year 2008. Sure enough got the cheque the next day. Also received a letter on the same day saying i'd be getting tax credits for 2009.

Still no word about my rent relief for 2007 though. Maybe that takes longer for them to work out?? Or maybe its because i put the two forms (for 2008 & 2007) in same envelope?? Do i have to send them separately?

I posted them all in one envelope anyway. its been over a month now and i havnt heard anything:(

I got my cheque for rent relief for 2007 today after i rang them up and queried it. It's all very straightforward. The reason i hadnt gotten it before now is that they thought i had received mortgage interest relief that year but my mortgage had actually finished in 2006. Once i sent in a note stating this it was all sorted out. Just give them a ring, they're very helpful.

I got my cheque for rent relief for 2007 today after i rang them up and queried it. It's all very straightforward. The reason i hadnt gotten it before now is that they thought i had received mortgage interest relief that year but my mortgage had actually finished in 2006. Once i sent in a note stating this it was all sorted out. Just give them a ring, they're very helpful.

I emailed them last week because wanted to see had they recieved my forms at all- and never got anything back from them.

So i called them on friday(just gone) and they have recieved my forms but "havnt gotten to them yet"

They emailed me yesterday saying this

Your Rent 1 forms have been processed & P21 balancing statements issued yesterday.

so im assuming that means im not entitled to any money?

They emailed me yesterday saying this

Your Rent 1 forms have been processed & P21 balancing statements issued yesterday.

so im assuming that means im not entitled to any money?

anyone- please??

You will receive the P21 in the post shortly. This will set out your tax situation for the relevant tax year. It will show any refund/ underpayment or Nil value referring to the year and will include a cheque if there is a refund due.

You will receive the P21 in the post shortly. This will set out your tax situation for the relevant tax year. It will show any refund/ underpayment or Nil value referring to the year and will include a cheque if there is a refund due.

Oh ok i think i get it now- nothing so far anyway and the p21 was sent out last tuesday- hope we are entitled to something- would really help:)

Have you read the bottom line of your P21. It should state overpayment, underpayment or nil

have not recieved it yet- ive gotten a letter in the post with my bank details on it asking are they correct? and if not to call revenue. But so far no p21

Back