Other Question about income cover

M

Maravillas

I am in my mid 30's in low risk work, am married with two children and my wife stays at home with them.

I would like to get income protection cover. My job is in a low risk category, I would have a 52 week deferral period. However, we would be in trouble with our mortgage if I was unable to work (although we have good life and mortgage cover).

I don't drink or smoke and am generally in good health.

When visiting my GP for something else of a non-serious nature it was suggested that I get my bloods checked. The results came back and I have slightly raised "bad" cholesterol and slightly "lowered" good cholesterol. Everything else is fine, BMI is spot on, blood pressure fine etc.

This is probably down to lifestyle factors - too many nice cakes!!

However, I am wondering if it is now even worth my while applying for income protection? I really don't want to be postponed or refused. How likely is it that I will be refused? Should I just wait until I amend my lifestyle to improve my cholesterol and then apply? Is having one bad cholesterol reading (which isn't off the scale and which my doctor wasn't worried about) enough to cause a refusal?

Generally an elevated 'bad' cholesterol reading wont' cause any problems (when I processed my own income protection policy I had higher than normal cholesterol and didn't receive a loading or even requested to go for a medical). If however it is combined with a number of other factors (smoking,obesity, family history etc) it may cause an issue.By contacting the different providers before submitting, you'll get a general indication of underwriting requirements.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Back