Health Insurance Query about Day Cases and Excess

sadie

If a plan has a Day Case excess and say a person needs chemo or radiotherapy, or some other type of staged treatments - are each of those visits a 'Day Case' that you would have to pay the Excess?
So if my Day Case excess is 175 euros, would there ever be an illness or condition where I would end up paying multiple Day Case excesses?

Laya healthcare charge one day case excess according to your plan per membership year, for chemotherapy in a private or hi-tech hospital.
No excess applies to any public hospital. Note; so if treatment spreads over 2 membership years, there could potentially be 2 excess charges.

VHI don't charge an excess for chemotherapy treatment.

Haemochromatosis is a blood condition requiring regular day case procedures and the excess is charged each time.
Just one condition I heard Dermot Goode referring to on radio in relation to day case excess.

You could confirm details of your plan with your own provider as a general question.

Snowyb

If you are concerned about excess in general, then I think LAYA Simplicity charges you a max of 2 per year? So if you did have a bad year of multiple tests or procedures you'd only be on the hook for 2 charges. And Simplicity is much more reasonably priced than any "no excess" plan that I am aware of.

Back