Purchasing property in Budapest: property company "Capital Eyes International"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sue_flaherty

I was wondering whether anyone had dealings with the property company capital eyes international or had bought property in either of the following developments
Pearl Gardens
Karalyi Gardens
Park Residence
Pikalya Apartments

and if you did how did you find them

Re: Purchasing property in Budapest

Yes,

I did ..... so far very happy with them.

If you want specific details PM me.

With Capital Eyes it's very simple: if you want to overpay 10-20%, have absolutely no service or follow-up, hear a lot of nonsense about capital gain of 30% and even more, you are at the right Andrassy address...
Simply check this forum, and you'll read that no-one (except apparently Max III) is happy with their services.
If you want to invest in Budapest, you better im with the people-in-the-know on the aam forum (Budapest, Hungary, Lee-m, ...) and read the posts of the regretted auto320...

I checked out the Karolyi Gardens Gardens and Park Residence from day 1, but they turned out to be just another BP de-construction in a bad neighbourhood where nobody wants to live. With some luck, maybe you will make some money in the year 2525.
Do you know the Alpine movie "Touching the Void"? It will be a simular experience...

PS: MaxIII, your property will be ready in 2008...

Happy so far, sorry ever after... ???

Last edited:

Well all I know is that I have a property on that website (bit smaller than your requirements so wouldn't be on your radar), and I have dropped the price from 21.9M HUF to 18.9 HUF since putting it up for sale in the last 4 months. still no interest, so I think you are well within your rights to bid at figures 10% below the asking.
BTW, I bought in 2004 for 20M, so facing a significant loss, when taking in stamp duty, fees etc. As far as I am concerned, I am taking it on the chin and treating it as ultimatelyt a valuable learning experience for my future investment decisions. (Research meticulously, never buy because everyone else is doing it, and know that you cannot take every opportunity that becomes available, and local if possible!)

Just note that property is not a one-way bet, particularly if you do not know the area that well, have language differences and are unable to particularly trust the service providers to manage your property effectively.
For the money you are talking about, you might be better advised to stick into 2-3 managed funds?

Didn't mean to preach.....just want to make sure you are going in with your eyes open

As Cerberos posted: "amgd28's post should be in a Lessons Learned section - its a pity the lessons are so expensive."

Hi Sue.
Not all property in Budapest is a bad investment. I bought an apt there and am very happy with it.
I agree with UrbanDev. Read the previous posts. Lots of info there & good advice.
The most important thing in every country is .....location, location & location. When it's a country you're not familiar with it's always best to get advice from someone who lives locally & most definitely not the agent who's trying to sell to you.
The poster Budapest helped me a great deal with all aspects of my purchase & I would definitely recommend him for anyone needing local expertise.

Thanks for feedback on capital eyes. If considering purchasing in Budapest would anyone have any advice such as reputable companies to go through or apartments with good potential for investment

Sue, if you're interested to invest in Budapest, the best is to book a flight and to visit the different projects / neighbourhoods you are interested in.
The good thing is, there's absolutely no hurry (the market is very flat at this moment, and insiders believe that prices will only take off after Hungary will join the Eurozone - in 2014?).

There's a lot to say about Hungary's economics, development in Budapest, ... (but most of these things have been said before on aam - so the best is to do a search on this forum).

Concerning reputable real estate companies in Budapest; most reputations are rather bad and for a reason.
A1 is quite OK but rather expensive. The people at Flott are cool, but they don't have the best projects in their portfolio. Casaro is really unprofessional (You'll find back different amusing stories on aam - but I know that Lee-m likes working with them. If you have to chance to work with the right person, they should be ok). Capital Eyes is just one big joke (you'll pay 3% surcommission on top of the 3% commision paid by the developper, but if there's the least of problems you'll need to solve everything yourself).

If there's a development you're interested in, don't be afraid to contact the developper directly - it can save you 5% on your investment and a lot of trouble as you are directly in contact with the people who deal with everything.

Re: Purchasing property in Budapest: property company capital eyes international?

On skyscrapercity.com, you can find a lot of info on Budapest, all written by locals / insiders.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=414682&page=22

BTW, on the last page they show some pics from Karolyi Gardens Gardens, where the constructions have started some months ago.

Don't get me wrong: I believe that projects as Karolyi Gardens and Corvin Promenade are wonderful on a social level, but not as an investment.
There are way too much new developments in bad neighbourhoods; the perception of people will not change overnight & hundreds of investors will bring their property on the rental market at the same time so it will take years & years before you gain any money with properties like these...

Last edited:
Re: Purchasing property in Budapest: property company capital eyes international?

Yes I purchased in Karolyi Gardens, I have to say I think it has a lot of potential (wouldnt have purchased there otherwise). I certainly didnt pay the prices advertised I can tell you that much.

The new bridge across the Danube next door to the development, and the new toll system will reduce traffic into the city centre and I think Karolyi will be perfectly situated to take advantage of it.

There is also the new huge water park to be built a mile or so to the north. My apartment is also close to the metro and the river ......

Its about the vision and I can see it working - wouldnt have bought there otherwise. It has proven to be a very popular development, phase one 3/4 sold and it wont all be finished until spring 2009.

As for the neighbourhood - I walked all the way around it - and it is a nice area, and the bits that are not are to be redeveloped over the next few years.

District 13 is to be totally rejuvenated and the river front all the way down to that river side development - the one that must have flooded during the last week. Karolyi Gardens would have been ok - high enough.

With all these offices and the 1000s of people it will bring to the area, I think there will be no shortage of people to let my place to.

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=360budapestclipzc7.flv

That video of the water front development is one side of the new bridge (not shown on the video), Karolyi Gardens is the other side of the new bridge - less traffic and noise I think. So essentially these developments are next door to one another. I dread to think of the price of these new apartments facing the river.

With all these offices and the 1000s of people it will bring to the area, I think there will be no shortage of people to let my place to.

MaxIII, I really wish you the best with your investment, and I believe that in the long term you might do fine
(as most buyers in BP will do - at least if they bought at a reasonable price). But for the next 5-7 years to come, I think it will be quite hard to rent your place out for a decent price.
The problem with 'mixed-use' projects is that they only work if the corporate fishes bite...
The corporate players & BP insiders I know don't like the Karolyi project for several reasons. The first reason is the oversupply. In real estate, too much of a same thing is no good news.
There are other new projects (such as the 360° project) that have a stronger potential at this point (for their story and networking, construction is still a guess). When I hear something more, I'll let you know...

am actually heading there this weekend on holiday but would like to wander around and have a look while there. Which developments would be the best to see.

Sue, is this the first time you come to Budapest, or have you been here before? What are you looking for, and where? In what price range do you want to invest?

Budapest is one big construction site at this time, so wherever you go, have a good look.

Capital Eyes is just one big joke (you'll pay 3% surcommission on top of the 3% commision paid by the developper, but if there's the least of problems you'll need to solve everything yourself).

For the sake of balance, I feel I should jump to CE's defence!

I used them for my first foray into Budapest and found them excellent. At the time, their talk was the most honest I heard from anyone, none of the 30% CapApp nonsense; not in my case anyway.
In fact, I still stay in regular contact (although I haven't dipped in again with them since), and also use their prop management (Tower Budapest) in one instance (100% occupancy across multiple tenants). I've also kept the same solicitor (recommended by CE) throughout the years.

As ever, its all about the research. Most of us here talk about getting onto planes and walking the footpaths of Budapest, but when you are popping you foreign property cherry, giving 3% to an agent to visit a number of their sites is not at all bad, as long as you've done the advance research.

Sure, I'd now recommend doing it solo, but I'm now familiar with the place, and am much more comfortable.

I've recommeded CE to 3 or 4 friends and colleagues, all of whom were equally happy. Perhaps we were the lucky ones.

Sometimes its hard to differentiate between Agents, and ALL of them will be accompanied by bad customer experiences.

MaxIII, I really wish you the best with your investment, and I believe that in the long term you might do fine
(as most buyers in BP will do - at least if they bought at a reasonable price). But for the next 5-7 years to come, I think it will be quite hard to rent your place out for a decent price.
The problem with 'mixed-use' projects is that they only work if the corporate fishes bite...
The corporate players & BP insiders I know don't like the Karolyi project for several reasons. The first reason is the oversupply. In real estate, too much of a same thing is no good news.
There are other new projects (such as the 360° project) that have a stronger potential at this point (for their story and networking, construction is still a guess). When I hear something more, I'll let you know...

Thanks,

The design for the 4 office blocks was put out to international tender - and the final decision is due any time, If you hear anything regarding the final design of Karolyi project, I would certainly be very interested to know.

Have been in Budapest before - an looking for a 1 bed for less than 100 thousand euros. Would like it central say districts 6, 9 or 13 or in any other other one that would have a good reputation.

Can anyone translate hungarian ..... ?

Id like to know what the last few latest news articles are about on the Karolyi Gardens website - the lakasingatlan one.

MaxIII,

If you're referring to 'Hétvégén Lakásvásár' and 'Képek az építkezésrol', then the first is just an announcement for a property sales exhibition this weekend, where the exhibitors will try to sell more of this development. The second is a link to more pictures of the development as it is being constructed.

For the sake of balance, I feel I should jump to CE's defence!

You are right: balance is important. The project I did with Capital Eyes was a real mess: the constructor didn't want to give any plans so we could order our furniture / at first key hand-over, the construction was far from finished so I had to come back 1,5 month later / up to today, the building is still a mess...
If Capital Eyes had done their job properly, this would've saved me a lot of time, energy and some plane tickets.
But I can imagine that when everything works out fine, the CE people are nice and driven people to work with.

Sometimes its hard to differentiate between Agents, and ALL of them will be accompanied by bad customer experiences.

True. I understand that selling is their job, and some are doing a better job than others. But what me disturbs me most, is that since the 90's real estate agents have become walking clichés. They're like speaking muppets on repeat, talking non-sense. How do they expect that you'll take them seriously?
I would like to end this post with a quote from our regretted auto320.

I have dealt with enough property salesmen in my time to know the usual patter, regardless of country, which usually goes like this...

1. Ryanair are going to be flying in here next year.
2. They have applied for the winter olympics/summer olympics/european open etc.
3. This is the last one that faces west -- you get the evening sun.
4. This is the last one that faces south - you get the sun all day.
5. This is the last one that faces east -- you get the morning sun.
6. This is the last one that faces north -- you need to be facing north because the sun will roast you out of it in summer.
7. They are going up on Monday
8. They have gone up since yesterday, but you can have this one at the old price if you close today.
9. There is a 2 year rental guarantee on these.
10. The rent will pay the mortgage.
11. I am buying one of them myself.
12. All the lads in the office have bought one each.
13. The top floor is the best, you don't have to maintain a garden.
14. The ground floor is the best, you have the use of a garden.
15. I know that the ski season is short, but you can rent it out all summer as well.
16. I know the summer season is short, but it's only three hours from the ski slopes, you can rent it out to skiers as well.

Everytime I hear this kind of jive talk (& believe me, it happens a lot) I hope someone up there smiles with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back