Public sector bashing-anyone else sick of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that amazes me on this board is the amount of people stating that public service workers wouldn't last five minutes in the private sector. During the tiger years how many people were let down by builders, plumbers, electricians etc who failed to deliver on agreed contracts or didn't even bother to show up at all. How many people were delivered faulty goods only to find that the shop blamed the manufacturer, the manufacturer blamed the delivery firm, the delivery firm said it was nothing to do with them and the unfortunate consumer was left out of pocket. How many times were people left standing in shops while assistants leant on the counter chatting to each other. What about airlines who advertised cheap flights then added on all kinds of hidden charges once the non refundable fare had been paid, or solicitors who caused huge delays for people buying houses through laziness and inefficiency. Not to mention estate agents who lied through their teeth to get their commission. And there has been plenty of discussion on these boards about GPs charging ridiculous fees, refusing to make house calls, insisting patients make appointments then leaving them hanging around the waiting room for an hour. I could go on and on. Yes, the public sector has its faults and inefficiencies. But it amazes me the amount of private sector workers who are wandering around under the delusion that they are somehow examples of 'best practice'. Everyone is going to have to take some pain over the next few years including public service workers who are extremely grateful that they have relative job security.We accept that. It is the constant criticisms of us, by private sector workers who have nothing to boast or preen themselves about, that is p*ssing us all off.

well said

One thing that amazes me on this board is the amount of people stating that public service workers wouldn't last five minutes in the private sector. During the tiger years how many people were let down by builders, plumbers, electricians etc who failed to deliver on agreed contracts or didn't even bother to show up at all. How many people were delivered faulty goods only to find that the shop blamed the manufacturer, the manufacturer blamed the delivery firm, the delivery firm said it was nothing to do with them and the unfortunate consumer was left out of pocket. How many times were people left standing in shops while assistants leant on the counter chatting to each other. What about airlines who advertised cheap flights then added on all kinds of hidden charges once the non refundable fare had been paid, or solicitors who caused huge delays for people buying houses through laziness and inefficiency. Not to mention estate agents who lied through their teeth to get their commission. And there has been plenty of discussion on these boards about GPs charging ridiculous fees, refusing to make house calls, insisting patients make appointments then leaving them hanging around the waiting room for an hour. I could go on and on. Yes, the public sector has its faults and inefficiencies. But it amazes me the amount of private sector workers who are wandering around under the delusion that they are somehow examples of 'best practice'. Everyone is going to have to take some pain over the next few years including public service workers who are extremely grateful that they have relative job security.We accept that. It is the constant criticisms of us, by private sector workers who have nothing to boast or preen themselves about, that is p*ssing us all off.

Yes, Well Said liaconn. I notice the public sector slaters haven't been on to answer this post and its been posted almost a whole day :). Maybe they have moved on to their next scapegoats.

Yes, I notice the public sector slaters haven't been on to answer this post and its been posted almost a whole day :). Maybe they have moved on to their next scapegoats.

Well it's because most of us are sick of public sector bashing Grahamo - haven't you heard? ;)

Good point purple, I would not put myself into a class. I would see myself equal with the poorest person or the wealthiest person. No one person is better than another.

What makes somebody put themselves into a bracket such as upper class or any class?? I would say ignorance.

I think most people in this country know that if you've got money behind you then you are a little bit more equal than others:)

I notice the public sector slaters haven't been on to answer this post and its been posted almost a whole day :).

The private sector does not get paid to sit at a deck and surf the internet.

Cut the top public sector wages + perks by 50%, the rest by 30 %, to bring things more in to line.

My wife is at the mercy of public sector bashers working in the local employment office and for anyone with a chip on their shoulder or wanting to let off steam it seems she is fair game to receive abuse both barrells after theese people read of the shennanigans taking place at FAS. Hardly surprising though considering the coffers are well and truly empty, meaning any person who may possibly have the offer of a job if for example they were to undertake certain training programmes can not avail of what is on offer as there is zero funding at the moment to take advantage of them. It makes my blood boil that an agency thats fundemental role is to help the unemployed are redundant because by the time the vast sums of money allocated to them filter down to the basic duty of helping those for whom the service is designed for, their is preciousl little left. Vast sums squandered and obscenely wasted, try telling a person that they can not avail of a training programme that would have been available to to a number of individuals for the cost of a Mary Harney hair do and manicure. I do not blame people being angry, but we should all stop to think exactly where the blame for theese type of things should be attributed and it isnt the public service workers doing their job of work !!!!
Did any one ever ask the thousands of pensioners who marched in Dublin during the medical card fiasco just why they voted Bertie and his cronies back into office when I would wager the vast majority gave his party the vote despite the blindingly obvious treacherous nature of his affairs and those of the party he represented. Burying ones head in the sand and propotioning blame retrospectively does not exonerate the Irish people for voting this shambolic symbiotic rabble of a government back into power.

I too am sick of the public sector bashing, even though I can be accused of taking part in it. Some posters seem to post just to have a go, others are accused of bashing when they highlight inefficiencies, which, IMO, is what needs to be done so we can see where improvements can be made.

I know people in the public sector who are honest, hard working and proud of their work, who don't take advantage of the perks on offer to them. I also know honest, hard working folk there who DO take advantage. And, this is hearsay, they complain about people they work with who sicken them with their attitudes and laziness.

I've known people in the private sector through the years who have not performed at all and were paid handsomely. These people are now unemployed. The private sector HAS reacted to our current situation, the public sector needs to react too and stop just talking about it. That then might stop the bashing. We hope!

My wife is at the mercy of public sector bashers working in the local employment office .

lol My heart bleeds for her. Has she not got a great well paid job and other perks like security......many people do not. Now you complain of people going in to her office to "bash" her. I think your claims are a bit exagerrated, as few if any public sector workers put up with any bashing or other abuse from anyone during their working hours.

As far as I know, no other employment office workers in the world are as highly paid as your wife....she should be grateful we are borrowing so much to pay her.

It would be interesting if some of the people bashing civil servants would state what they do for a living. 'Private Sector' covers a multitude and I'm sure many of your individual sectors are open to a bit of 'bashing' as well.

lol My heart bleeds for her. Has she not got a great well paid job and other perks like security......many people do not. Now you complain of people going in to her office to "bash" her. I think your claims are a bit exagerrated, as few if any public sector workers put up with any bashing or other abuse from anyone during their working hours.

As far as I know, no other employment office workers in the world are as highly paid as your wife....she should be grateful we are borrowing so much to pay her.

Typical anti public servant post here. Absolutely full of bile & bitterness. It isn't enough to just have a go at her profession. It has to be a personal attack too.
Makes Victor Meldrew look like a nice guy!:rolleyes:

It would be interesting if some of the people bashing civil servants would state what they do for a living. 'Private Sector' covers a multitude and I'm sure many of your individual sectors are open to a bit of 'bashing' as well.
I doubt they would have the balls. I have a sneaky feeling some of them could be some of the real culprits of this economic downturn. :D

I doubt they would have the balls. I have a sneaky feeling some of them could be some of the real culprits of this economic downturn. :D
I don't think so, I can't see anyone from SIPTU making anti public sector comments...

That's a really nasty post. People working in public offices in areas like SW and Revenue are subjected to verbal abuse and, on occasion, to physical abuse.

That's a really nasty post. People working in public offices in areas like SW and Revenue are subjected to verbal abuse and, on occasion, to physical abuse.
Plenty people in the private sector get their unfair share of abuse too. (bouncers, taxi drivers, IT support people etc...)

Many of them don't have the security of the public sector, so I agree with rabbit's post.

Shouldn't we be blaming bertie and co? - why still all this public/private sector bickering? Public sector people were just taking advantage of a situation created by bertie and co.

Blame bertie.

Plenty people in the private sector get their unfair share of abuse too. (bouncers, taxi drivers, IT support people etc...)

Many of them don't have the security of the public sector, so I agree with rabbit's post.

I must be odd. I don't think it right that anybody should be subject to abuse, be they in the private or the public sector.

You and rabbit seem to take the position that people should have a licence to abuse public sector workers on an individual basis simply because they have work contracts that you don't like.

I must be odd. I don't think it right that anybody should be subject to abuse, be they in the private or the public sector.

You and rabbit seem to take the position that people should have a licence to abuse public sector workers on an individual basis simply because they have work contracts that you don't like.

No you're not odd I agree that no one should be subjected to abuse.

There are people who think that they can 'abuse' public servants to the point of tears and think its okay because its her job......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back