Key Post PRSI refunds for 2008,2009 and 2010.Did you earn < €26,000?

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Does anyone know how long the refunds as mentioned in this thread are taking at the moment? There was a very long delay some time back but just wondering if this situation has improved?

Note that this refers to a refund of the Health Levy, and only applies to some people earning less than 26k.

Is that 26K gross or net?

Gross.

26K is approx 500 per week, if you earn the same amount every week of the year. If you earn 500 or less per week, no income levy is deduced at source from your wages.

If you earn over 500 in any one week, then income levy is deduced.

So, if you earned over 500 gross, for some weeks in the year, but overall you earned less than 26K in the year, you will have paid income levy that you can claim back.

my partner applied in 19 oct 2011 got his refund (€850!!) the second week in December I think. He only worked for a short time in 2009 and this is where the refund came from. I actually didn't think he would get anything as did all the usual tax refunds you can get during unemployment that year.

Gross.

26K is approx 500 per week, if you earn the same amount every week of the year. If you earn 500 or less per week, no income levy is deduced at source from your wages.

If you earn over 500 in any one week, then income levy is deduced.

So, if you earned over 500 gross, for some weeks in the year, but overall you earned less than 26K in the year, you will have paid income levy that you can claim back.

It's health levy (collected with PRSI), not income levy (collected with PAYE), but apart from that you're spot on.

we jsut wrote to : PRSI Refunds Section,
Department of Social Protection,

Oisin House,
212-213 Pearse Street,
Dublin 2.

quoted pps number and asked for any overpayment made in prsi (including health levy payments) from 2007-2010 to be refudned by cheque.

Press Release from the Dept of Social Welfare

Health Contribution Refunds – Clarification

1. The Department of Social Protection is currently receiving a very high level of enquiries in relation to requests for refunds of the Health Contribution. The Department would therefore like to take this opportunity to clarify the position in relation to Health Contribution Refunds.
  2. If you earned more than €26,000 in 2008, 2009 and 2010 you were liable to pay the Health Contribution and you are not due a refund.
  3. If you earned less than €26,000 and never earned more than €500 in any one week you would not have been charged the Health Contribution and are not eligible for a refund.
  4. You may be entitled to a refund of the Health Contribution if you have earned less than €26,000 in 2008, 2009 or 2010 and earned more than €500 in any particular week in those years.
  5. Your P60 Form will give you details of your earnings.
  6. You must make an application for a refund within four years of 31 December of the year you paid the contribution. For example you must apply for a refund of the Health Contributions paid in 2008 by 31 December 2012 and so on.
  7. Any contributions paid prior to 1 January 2008 are outside the time limit for making a claim.
  8. The Health Contribution was included in the Universal Social Charge (USC) with effect from 1 January 2011 and no Health Contribution refunds arise after that date.
  9. The amount of refund you receive will vary depending on the amount of Health Contribution paid. For example if you paid the Health Contribution for only one week in 2008 your refund could be €10.
  10. If you satisfy the earnings conditions outlined at 4 above you should write to the address below and include your name, address, Personal Public Service Number and your date of birth.
Department of Social Protection,
PRSI Refunds Section,
Oisin House,
Pearse Street,
Dublin 2.
For further information
'www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PRSI/Pages/refundhealthlevy.aspx'

Hi I'm hoping someone can advise on a situation I notice with a few people on the payroll which I administer. There are a few people who paid health levy for a couple of weeks, but generally for most of the year would have been below the pay level of €352 where they paid no PRSI or health levy. I know that they can claim the health levy refund, but if the extra pay for those few weeks took their annual salary above €18304 (ie 352*52wks) would that mean that they could then be liable for PRSI and would Social Welfare chase them for it?

Thank you

Back