PRSI deducted in error

Homer

I'm over age 66, so I'm no longer liable for PRSI. I recently received a payment under PAYE for some work I did and the wrong PRSI class was used so I ended up having 4% PRSI deducted. I'm not going to be doing any more work for that employer this year, so they won't be able to offset the PRSI against any tax or USC liability on future payments.

I don't mind waiting until I've completed my tax return for the year, as I will owe money on some earnings that are not subject to PAYE. But I just wanted to check whether this will come through as part of my balancing statement when I complete my P11, given that I am not expected to have any PRSI liability.

If anyone has experience of dealing with this issue, I would be most grateful for your advice.

I'm not sure if this is something that Revenue communicate to companies as part of the payroll process, but might be worth checking that Revenue have the right PRSI class on your record?

Could you ask the employer to put through a correction for the incorrect PRSI class?
When I left my last employer they messed up my final payslip. The corrections & my refund were put through the following month.

PRSI on an employment won't be taken into account on a Form 11. Either the employer will have to fix up their payroll submission and pass on the money to you or possibly you might be able to get onto the department of social welfare to get them to refund you

Unless things have changed with the new PAYE system, employers enter the PRSI class themselves into their software, it's not part of the info that revenue send them.

Thanks folks. It was an error by the employer. I received a payment last year that used the correct PRSI class. I’ll ask them to amend their return to Revenue and refund the amount deducted to me.

Back