PRSI contribution rates to be increased

Not a huge increase, but still annoying. I do not think I am getting much value from my PRSI payments to be honest.

Not a huge increase, but still annoying. I do not think I am getting much value from my PRSI payments to be honest.
My understanding is, this is an Employer only increase, to help with the Government contribution costs, to EE pensions, which resulted from the new auto enrollment scheme

...earning over €100,000 ;)
If they are paying a mortgage and childcare costs they are still going to be struggling financially. Someone on €100,000 a year with a €300,000 mortgage and a couple of kids in childcare will have the same income after those expenses and payroll taxes and someone with no children or mortgage earning €30,000 a year.

If they are paying a mortgage and childcare costs they are still going to be struggling financially. Someone on €100,000 a year with a €300,000 mortgage and a couple of kids in childcare will have the same income after those expenses and payroll taxes and someone with no children or mortgage earning €30,000 a year.
Ignoring rent?

Ignoring rent?
Renters are worse off again.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record it's a great example of the difference between wealth and income. There are lots of very wealthy people on modest incomes and there are lots of people on high incomes with no wealth paying vast amounts of their after tax income for the use of someone else's wealth. In this case renting wealth (in the form of a house) or borrowing capital to acquire wealth (in the form of a mortgage).

These are choices people make. Children grow up and the mortgage is paid off (eventually!).

Back