Protected Investment Bond - too good to be true?

dannyjennings

Hey all,

New to the forum but a long time lurker. Some really great insight from you all on a broad range of topics, very helpful for a less sophisticated individual like myself.

Anyway, I wanted to invest around 10k in one of these tracker bond type products. Lock it in for a few years and hopefully get a return better than what the banks are offering for their fixed term deposit acccounts.

I came across this product, the Protected Income Bond 21 from Blackbee stockbrokers. It ticks all the boxes.

blackbee.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Protected-Investment-Bond-21-BlackBee-Investments.pdf

-100% capital protection
- 10% return minimum over 4.5 years (much better than anything on the market as far as I can see)
- minimum iinvestment only 10k

Are there significant risks that I am missing? Why does every other investor with 10k to put away for 4.5 years not invest in this and get a great return comparted to what the retail banks are offering?

I would like to note that I have never invested in any type of product before, I am just keen to get a better return for my 10k than the banks are currently offering and was told that this type of product might offer me that.

Any comments would be great.

thanks

Most of these tracker bonds have catches and you have to study the documents in detail to find them.

This one has a fee of 3.5%, so immediately your guaranteed return is reduced to 6.5%.

I have not heard of any of these guys before, so you would have to research them before committing any money.

upload_2016-7-3_19-41-41.png

And there are a lot of warnings:

upload_2016-7-3_19-42-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-3_19-42-28.png
    upload_2016-7-3_19-42-28.png
    31 KB · Views: 97
Most of these tracker bonds have catches and you have to study the documents in detail to find them.

This one has a fee of 3.5%, so immediately your guaranteed return is reduced to 6.5%.

I have not heard of any of these guys before, so you would have to research them before committing any money.

View attachment 1398

And there are a lot of warnings:

View attachment 1400

Thanks Brendan.

From reading the docs I was a little confused as to who the reference entities actually were? I have never heard of them.

Are MBIA Inc and Assured Guaranty Corp reliable entities? I think the return is linked to them staying solvent. It is referred to as Credit Risk in the brochure.

The big risk is credit risk. These entities could go under in a world where banks will no longer be saved by government.

OP, just check with the Central Bank to see if they are Authorised to sell Financial Product in this country.

If it looks too good to be true, it usually is. There is a relationship between risk and return, the more investment risk, the higher the expected return. If someone offers you something different, there is a catch...and the catch will always effect you, not the provider who will always be paid.

Tracker bonds are poor value for money.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back